A Conversation for The History of Volleyball Scoring

Netting on serve

Post 1

gwgwgw

It is no longer a foul for the server's ball to contact the net as long as it makes it over into the opponent's court.

Why? Its like a lottery! Defenders typically are able to field about 1 in 5 of such serves. Servers don't intend to hit the net. It is an accident... a lucky gift.


Netting on serve

Post 2

Bright Blue Shorts

Yep, agreed it's a bad rule. I reckon it should at least be like tennis, that if the ball lands incourt it becomes a true 'let' service and server gets a 2nd chance. It would at least be better than as it is now.

I assume the reason for the rule change is either:
a) you used to get some serves clip the net very, very lightly and a referee would call the play up. To television eyes the touch may not have been apparent.
b) jump servers tend to hit the net a lot and with the introduction of rally points, it's a point gone. As you say it's damn difficult to defend.

Ultimately changes are made for the benefit of TV. They want the game to be attractive and to flow as much as possible. The fewer calls the referee has to make the better.

These are only my guesses as to why the changes have occurred. Who knows what goes on in the minds of the FIVB!

As for being an accident. A savvy coach will have their team practicing these things ....


Netting on serve

Post 3

Quantum

Yes, fair enough, the change *was* probably made to make the game's pace faster and more exciting. But, in my opinion, it's not necessarily a bad change; yes, jump-serves will hit the net, but it's not *that* frequent an occurence, and even so, shots which barely touch the net are not that difficult to defend against (you just dive forward - the ball will have lost a bit of speed by touching the net), while the balls which barely make it over are, admittedly, a real pain to recover, but it can be done, and it makes the game more exciting - such serves are rare (half a centimeter lower and it won't go over), and so when it happens perhaps once a set, it adds variety and excitement to a match.

And, of course, when you serve such a ball, it feels good too smiley - winkeye

Q


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more