A Conversation for 'Strange Fruit' - The Billie Holiday Song

References?

Post 1

Rumbleghost

I like the singer. I like the song, though I am not familiar with the story behind it. So, I found the link interesting and liked the drama of your article. But... Some of the things you said seem to SCREAM for references. It reads like fiction and not like fact.
What are your sources?

Please don't take this too negatively. I just expected a reference for your "eye-witness"-ish third-person-omniscient detail of the events of the lynching and the events prior. Without that reference, the article seems dubious.

smiley - huh


References?

Post 2

J

Hi Rumbleghost,
While a few authors choose to include references in their entries, it's not really required on h2g2, nor is it common practice. I choose not to because I think the references tend to be distracting and maybe even too academic for the tone I usually go for. h2g2 isn't the most academically rigid of places... which I think is a good thing.

It's a very factual piece, though. In researching that part of the story, I used the account of James Cameron... Cameron was the only one of the main "characters" who survived, after all other than the woman in the car with Claude Deeter. Cameron's story was given to the television show "Nightline" - http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/US/story?id=525676&page=1 a few years ago. The rest of the details were filled in by other histories of the event and a few other accounts. I don't have the other sources for that section right in front of me, because it was written a few months ago on another computer, but that was the key source for the section on the lynching, as I recall.

I don't know about you, but I generally find that fiction is much more interestingly written than non-fiction, with many notable exceptions of course.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.

smiley - cheers
Jordan


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more