Korova Milkbar, East Village, New York City, USA

2 Conversations

The Korova Milkbar was a milk-plus mesto, and you may, O my brothers, have forgotten what these mestos were like, things changing so skorry these days and everybody very quick to forget, newspapers not being read much neither. Well, what they sold there was milk plus something else. They had no license for selling liquor, but there was no law yet against prodding some of the new veshches which they used to put into the old moloko, so you could peet it with vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom or one or two other veshches which would give you a nice quick horrorshow fifteen minutes admiring Bog And All His Holy Angels And Saints in your left shoe with lights bursting all over your mozg. Or you could peet milk with knives in it, as we used to say, and this would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of dirty twenty-to-one, and that was what we were peeting this evening I'm starting off the story with. ...
- Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange

New York City has a lot of bars with unusual themes and decor. However, the Korova Milkbar is probably one of the most disturbing. Named and modeled after the milkbar of A Clockwork Orange where Alex and his droogs would fuel up before a night of ultraviolence, it's quite a distinctive location for late-night boozing in the East Village (it's located on Avenue A a few blocks north of Tompkins Square Park). The bar is decorated in a similar fashion to the bar in the movie ("Moloko" in a wavy Seventies font interspersed with naked white female mannequins mounted to the black walls), but it is not an strictly exact reproduction (unlike the movie, beverages are not dispensed from the mannequins' nipples). Monitors embedded in the walls play footage from bad horror movies or whatever other unusual films the owners are into. Apart from a few tables and seating at the bar, there are some nice vinyl couches (white, of course) that are often fought over on busy nights. There's also a jukebox stocked with contemporary tunes (as well as the Clockwork Orange soundtrack for the obsessively minded).

Unlike the book, Korova is licensed to serve alcohol and offers your standard range of drinks. In addition, the menu also features several molokos. Named after various minor dead celebrities1 these drinks are made from ice cream blended with alcohol and served ice cold in a tall glass. They're quite good, but they contain a lot of disguised punch which can sneak up on you. Although a bit on the pricey side, they are worth trying if you find yourself there. The bar is open every night of the week until 4am, but it can be quite crowded on the weekends with Bridge and Tunnel people2, so weekday nights are recommended. The Milkbar also hosts a few weekly DJ nights.

1For instance, the frozen peaches-and-cream drink packing a vodka wallop is called the Jon-Benet Ramsey. Sometimes, they try too hard.2A New York term for people who drive into Manhattan from the suburbs to have fun. Since Manhattan is an island, all routes involve a bridge or a tunnel. Hence the name.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A514351

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more