A Conversation for Games to Play while Serving on a Supermarket Checkout

More bemusement

Post 1

Richy

I spent far too much time as a cashier, and frequently had some fun.
I always liked to play games with the customers heads. And also useing strange phrasings.
For example, upon asking whether they wanted paper or plastic, "What is your bagging pleasure today?"
It was also frequently fun to give change in strange amounts, 7 quarters, 15 dimes, etc, and see if they protest.


More bemusement

Post 2

Bagpuss

Ah, but two can play at that game. I think it was Patrick Kielty (Irish comedian) who said he enjoys confusing the staff thus: When asked for £3.63, hand over a tenner and then say, "Hang on, I'll give you the 17 pence" and just watch the assistant going "This must reduce the number of coins I have to give him in some way.... wait, no it doesn't... erm".


More bemusement

Post 3

TIMELORD

I could spend week replying to this and still tell only half the storys from my ten years at asda i just took it out on the manager by telling jokes like which one is the odd one out

(A)A U.F.O.

(B)The lock ness monster

(C)The yeti

(D)An asda managers brain

The answer is of course the asda managers brain as the other 3 could exist.
Do any of the things that customers have done stand out as dafter than most.


More bemusement

Post 4

Bright Blue Shorts

Reply to Bagpuss.

"Check out" http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A506404 if you'd like to see more games to play on the queueing side.

What a shame there is no link between these two entries. Would make so much sense.


More bemusement

Post 5

Bagpuss

I saw that as well. You're right about the link; were they by the same people?


More bemusement

Post 6

Bright Blue Shorts

Nope. I only wrote the "in the queue" entry. I feel it may have inspired the alternative point of view. And most welcome it is too.

BBS smiley - smiley


More bemusement

Post 7

TIMELORD

One of the games we played out in the car park was kicking stones though the iron railings around the car park as they were about 4ft of the ground and 7ft wide it was not as easy asyou would think if it hit the bars it was classed as a save by the goalie firat to ten point was the winner loser had to get the coffee at break.(sad to think what you do when you are board)


More bemusement

Post 8

oh you know, that..girl

the bill is $15.79, they give me a $20 and i type that into the register and press "cash" and the register opens; then they start digging in their pockets and go "oh wait i've found change!" this is annoying because i just can't do that kind of thing in my head; i'm not stupid, i'm not bad at math but subtracting 15.79 from 20.25 in your head in 3 seconds while there a million other things you're thinking about at the same time, it's nearly freaking impossible.
thank you.


More bemusement

Post 9

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I used to work in a newsagent, and there were a few games we could play. Our favourite was when a customer bought a porno mag and tried to hide the fact by also buying the Telegraph or similar and putting that on top. We would pantomime bemusement for a while and then call out our colleague from the office, shouting in a loud voice:

'Beryl, can you give me a hand - I can't find the price on this porno mag!' Hee hee.

As you can tell, we didn't much like having to sell them.

David


More bemusement

Post 10

Sketch Artist

When ringing up smut, I like to pick it up and examine the price very closely, making sure I the item wasn't mispriced. Then when asking questions like "Would you like a bag for you purchase?" I like to run a hand across the smut. Also I like to leave the smut on top and I always make sure to give a bookmark to folks buying erotica.


More bemusement

Post 11

WillBP

I work at a grocery store currently... my favourite ways to ask what sort of bag someone wants are "Is paper or plastic alright?," to which most people respond, "Yes, thats fine," or "You have been pre-approved for either a paper or a plastic bag." Another fun game to play is chose a letter at the beginning of a shift, and then not pronounce it for the rest of the day. L works nicely... "Would you rike paper or prastic?"


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more