A Conversation for The Modern Jazz Quartet

Totally brilliant

Post 1

AlsoRan80

Thursday, 14th May 2009 6.45

Totally brilliant this wonderful contribution on the MJQ

I loved them - all the musicians you write about. They gave our generation (and the subsequent ones) so much pleasure and happiness.

I learnt so much about many of them and thank you for having revived and reminded me of one of my long-forgotten interests, and also for having taught me so much.

So now I want to know much more about Django Rhinehart and the Quintet of the Hot Club of France.

Please.........

Very sincerely,


Christiane
AlsoRan80


Totally brilliant

Post 2

h5ringer

Thank you AR80 smiley - blush Glad you enjoyed reading it

*adds Django Reinhardt to ToDo List*

smiley - ok


Totally brilliant

Post 3

AlsoRan80

Thursday 14th May 2009 8.20

Thank you so much, oh Barbican music lover.

I have heard the violinist of the MJQ playing- in Cape Town South Africa of all places. !! An hour ago I remembered his name. Now it is gone - at least only temporarily I hope. Stefan Grapelli that was it. Hoorah for slight memory improvement. !!

wonderful photographs of the meet. However I could never have managed it.

Getting old etc. etc.

CME
AR80



Totally brilliant

Post 4

h5ringer

AR80, there's an unedited entry on Reinhardt - A721810 - which I might clean up and update smiley - smiley


Totally brilliant

Post 5

AlsoRan80

Dear h5inger,

I shall go immediately and look at it. I seem to remember that he could not read music - he really was a "gypsy " guitarist. but what a guitarist!!

Must smiley - run

Christiane AR80


Totally brilliant

Post 6

AlsoRan80


Friday 5th May 2009 19.20

Dear h5ringer.

Thank you for guiding me to that link. It certainly would be worth bringing it up to date. I had no idea that he had had that dreadful accident with the fire - nor that he had died so young. I honestly think that if I did not actually hear the quintet of the Hot club of France I did actually try to get seats and could not. I know I went to Paris for the first time in 1953 and that would sort of fit.

I did however hear Stephan Grapelli - in the Town Hall in one of the suburbs of Cape Town. I knew about him and was thrilled when I
heard him play. I also think I heard him play on a second ocasion. He seemed a very sad man however. I do not know if he is still alive. I do not know any of the other artists in the quintet,

What beautiful music they played. I wonder if there is a recording that I could get hold of because one never hears them now.

Thank you so much for all your help in finding the links. Very very grateful and they are so useful.

go well,

Christiane
AR80


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Modern Jazz Quartet

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more