A Conversation for Tesseracts

tesseract and ants

Post 1

Chajj

I have a bit of a problem with Fred finding a tesseract, just as I suspect that Slim would not be troubled if he fell off a brick.
My character is Bernard, an ant who lives in a three dimensional world and, like all ants, who is not troubled by gravity. He treats his 3D world as a 2D world. To him, walking out of the ants' nest, along the ground, up the tree, out to the end of the branch and back again is a purely 2D operation, even though it takes place in a 3D world - or that's how he maps it. What worries him is how friends suddenly disappear from his 2D map and reappear elsewhere on it. Of course, the wiseguys in the world of 3D know that this is ants simply falling off branches and landing near the nest.
I think Fred would *see* the Tesseract as 3D. Inside it, it only may worry him that people would be able to disappear from his 3D map and reappear elsewhere - but they are simply taking advantage of gravity in a 4D world.
Maybe this is how all the biros leave our pockets.


tesseract and ants

Post 2

Flaming Moose

I imagine so. But what would a four-dimensional creature LOOK like?


tesseract and ants

Post 3

Moose }:8) BOYCOTTING ALL SMILEYS UNTIL YOU GIVE US A MOOSE!!!(the first to own a conceptual spork!!!)

why "flaming moose" smiley - blue


tesseract and ants

Post 4

Researcher 207387

So,
what shape in four dimensions would be experienced in three dimensions as the outside of a globe?


tesseract and ants

Post 5

Pandora...Born Again Tart

smiley - zenwow. you guys are really deep mansmiley - peacesign
smiley - spider <--- closest thing I could think of to help people with weak imaginations recall things that crawl. smiley - peacedove


tesseract and ants

Post 6

Chajj

The outside of a 4D globe seen in 3D would look like a 3D globe. As for Flaming Moose's question *What would a 4D character look like?* it would look like a 3D character but with another side - i.e. top side, left side, right side and other side. Good news for slimmers: in 4D, you may already look slim. Bad news for models. Reassuring news for anyone who ever felt uncomfortable walking on the lines in paving stones: maybe they are four-dimensionally awkward...?


tesseract and ants

Post 7

Pandora...Born Again Tart

smiley - tongueoutDang! When you set out to 'think' 'bout sumthin' you sure take your sweet time!
smiley - ermI don't think I'd like playing chess with you. smiley - laugh


Key: Complain about this post