The Opinion Page

0 Conversations

This week we is the First in a continuing line of comments, observations and opinions from you the readers on anything and everything; The Opinion Page

The Plea of a Pro Networking Computer Geek

I work with high-end network kit for a living. I am also a support engineer. I have gone through extensive (rare for the support field) training to become an expert in my field. Please trust me to know what I am talking about, and follow my advice.

If you try to push my product to do things that are beyond its designed scope, do not complain that it is not working. I realise that you are young/old, formally educated/built the internet with your own two hands (Hi Mr. Gore), more experienced than I will ever be/just out of training.

Please have the information I need to help you. Please listen to my explanations. Please do not be combative when I tell you something cannot be done or is not supported. I will do my best to get your network running.

If I do not know the answer I *will* find it out for you. I learn as much as you do every day. When I have a policy to follow, please do not ask me to subvert it. When it works, please try to remember that I succeeded... when you are asked to rate my performance. If I help you after someone else has tried, remember that it was I who solved your problem.

If you do these things I have requested, I will, in return, do the following for you. I will help you to the best of my abilities. I will not give you erroneous information. I will research anything that I am not sure of. I will utilise the best minds I work with. I will always maintain a professional attitude. Let us learn from each other and we will both be better from the experience.

Very succinctly put Marv... ed.


Marv the Grate


17.04.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A504901

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more