The BooK NooK

0 Conversations

Photographer Helmut Newton has just released a collection of influential, intriguing and controversial photography in a book whose size is setting records. At 70 cm high and 50 cm wide and weighing around 30-kg, the publishers and photographer were at a loss as to what to call it. Sumo after the Japanese wrestlers seemed the most appropriate, so Helmut Newton's Sumo Book was named.

There is no need, however, for the proud owner of one of these limited edition volumes to struggle with the size and weight... each comes with its own stand designed specially by Philippe Starck for the book. (Leading to review headlines describing it as 'the only book with its own coffee table'.)

There are only 10,000 copies to be released worldwide, each signed by Newton. Production is highly complicated and each individual book is bound by hand.

New Zealand bookstore chain Dymocks are having a special preview launch of Sumo simultaneously in three stores... Because the book is so valuable ($3800.00 - believed to be a record for a contemporary publication), each book will be guarded by a security person. Forget any ideas of a quick flick through... staff wearing gloves will turn pages on request. At the Atrium launch, models in Natalija Kucija fashions will escort the book.

The publishers, art house Taschen, claim several superlatives for the book... the biggest contemporary book and the most expensive are just two. However, the drive was not to win world records, but to provide the right forum for Newton's startling work.Benedikt Taschen says the aim was to cover every aspect of Newton's outstanding career in photography, from the stunning fashion photographs, which pointed the way for generations of photographers, to his most recent celebrity portraits.

Magazine editor Tina Brown comments in American Photo that Newton provides her with more visual excitement per page than any other photographer she's worked with:
'The power, depth and provocativeness of his images make any magazine that they appear in memorable and hot. He's funny, sexy, dangerous and brilliant.'

You can find this book on h2g2's new banner ad thingy


Loonytunes


17.04.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A504893

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more