US Scouting - Brownie Girl Scouts Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

US Scouting - Brownie Girl Scouts

0 Conversations

Twist me and turn me and show me the elf,
I looked in the water and saw... myself!

Millions of women and girls have said or heard these words when they first became a Brownie Girl Scout. The words come from a folk tale about 'brownies' - little elves that would do good deeds when no one was looking. Brownie Girl Scouts have been around in the US since the 1930s, and while their brown uniforms have changed many times, the Brownies are still as cute as ever!

Who can be a Brownie Girl Scout?

Brownie Girl Scouts are girls who are aged six to eight, or who are in first to third grades. Girl Scouting in the US is open to all girls, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or disability.

Brownie Uniforms and Insignia

Brownie uniforms are, surprisingly enough, brown. In an effort to appeal to the young girls who wear them, the also have highlights of pastel blue, pink, and yellow. While uniforms are not required for Girl Scouts, many girls prefer to have at least a sash or vest for their badges and insignia. Additional uniform components include a jumper, a skirt, leggings, pants, shorts, a sweater, several shirts, and (of course) the beanie.

All Brownie Girl Scouts wear the Brownie Girl Scout Pin, which they receive at their investiture ceremony if they are new to Girl Scouting, or at their bridging ceremony if they were previously Daisy Girl Scouts. The World Association Pin is worn directly above the Brownie Pin.

Over their years as Brownie Girl Scouts, girls may earn 'Try-Its', badges which are worn on the front of the vest or sash. Girls may also receive patches for participating in various events, such as a food drive or a skating party. These patches are unofficial, and are worn on the back of the sash or vest.

What do Brownie Girl Scouts do?

Brownie Girl Scouts participate in many of the same activities that older girls do, albeit with considerably more adult direction.

  • Brownies earn Try-It badges on topics ranging from 'Art to Wear' to 'Computer Smarts' to 'Watching Wildlife'.

  • Brownies also explore the outdoors, starting with day hikes and slowly progressing to overnight campouts.

  • Brownies might explore the arts by composing their own dances, learning simple needlework, or performing a shadow play.

  • Brownies also work on service projects, such as singing at a nursing home, or putting together activity packets for children in the hospital.

  • And, of course, Brownies also participate in traditional Girl Scout activities such as selling Girl Scout cookies and learning first aid skills.

During their last year as Brownies, the girls work on special activities to help them bridge to Junior Girl Scouts.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A480818

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more