A Conversation for US Scouting - American Girl Scouts Overseas

TOFS

Post 1

You can call me TC

When I first came to Germany in 1973, I had several years of Guiding in England behind me and asked at HQ in London how I could continue while in Germany. I was informed that "uniformed youth movements are not widely accepted due to the Hitler Youth Movement during the third Reich", but fortunately I had thought to ask about the Occupying troops. I was due to move to an American occupied part of Germany, and soon joined up with a Junior Troop in Mannheim. We had some wonderful times together, like swapping Leberwurst and Peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches as our contribution to cultural exchange!

Unfortunately, I no longer have contact with any of the people I met back then, but still many memories, photos, diaries, badges and some useful books I bought at a Girl Scouters' seminar.

TOFS stood for "Troops on Foreign Soil". Somewhere I still have a backpack with all those badges sewn on...

The American Girl Scouts were really great people and it is movements like this that help to show the children - and the mothers - of the servicemen posted abroad what is exactly going on in this strange country they have moved to, while instilling the values of Guiding/Scouting and developing all those useful skills that you never learn at school, and can't always learn at home.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for US Scouting - American Girl Scouts Overseas

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more