A Conversation for Whitwell - Twinned with Paris

whitwell and Paris

Post 1

martinoakham

here are my photos of the sign and whitwell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinoakham/2974781645/

Parliament records
Mr. Alan Duncan (Rutland and Melton) : The House will look kindly on the warm and generous words that the hon. Member for Workington (Mr. Campbell-Savours) had for my hon. Friend the Member for Broxtowe (Mr. Lester), which reflected not only on the merits of my hon. Friend's Bill but on him personally.

In an excellent speech, my hon. Friend the Member for Croydon, South (Mr. Ottaway) referred to some unpronounceable town in Hungary that is twinned with Chorley. That struck a particular note with me. If one drives, as I often do, past Rutland Water and through the small village of Whitwell, one cannot help but notice a large sign proclaiming, "Whitwell--twinned with Paris".


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Column 1138

One might ask how such a tiny mouse of a town could be twinned with such an elephant of a European capital. That came about because the parish council, which is very internationalist in its outlook, wrote to the mayor of Paris explaining that Whitwell lay at the heart of England and wished to twin with an important capital on the European mainland. The council received no reply. It wrote again, and still no reply came. On the third occasion, the council's letter included a paragraph stating, "If we receive no reply within five weeks, Mr. Mayor, we shall assume that you have agreed to our proposal." The sign was erected in the fifth week and has remained there ever since.



Whitwell is a village in the county of Rutland in the East Midlands of England.

It is located about four miles east of Oakham, on the north shore of Rutland Water. A pleasure boat known as the Rutland Belle operates from Whitwell Harbour. It is also a popular sailing and water sports area. In 2001 it had a population of 42.

Whitwell claims to be twinned with Paris, France. In the 1970s, regulars from the pub, the Noel Arms wrote to the then Mayor of Paris, Jacques Chirac proposing the link and with a tight deadline for a response. As no answer arrived from the Mayor's office by the set date, the village unilaterally declared itself to be twinned and erected roadsigns to that effect. The original wooden signs were later replaced in metal by Rutland County Council.

Whitwell is one of the smallest villages in Rutland. It only has 19 houses, however, does boast a pub and hotel nestled amongst those. Both are located on the main A606 opposite each other, so are easily found. The pub, now called The Noel, has a mixture of both traditional and modern elements to it, and serves a variety of home cooked meals alongside fine wines and real ales.


whitwell and Paris

Post 2

Icy North

Hi Martin, and welcome to h2g2 smiley - smiley

Yes, I saw that Hansard reference when I researched the article. It's good to see an MP with a sense of humour.

I've driven through Whitwell but I'm not local to the area. Give my best wishes to Oakham!

smiley - cheers Icy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more