A Conversation for What is God?

notes to editor: nitpicks.

Post 1

Martin Harper

nitpicks and info I feel should be added first - more general complaints later.

I heard that "Elohim" meant Gods plural, not God. This may or may not be a matter of interpretation of the language - or indeed a pluralisation to make God seem more important (like the royal 'we') - but I feel the uncertainty should be footnoted...

On the name of God thing, there are those who refuse to speak the word "God", believing it blasphemy. There are also those who write it as 'G-d' - particularly amongst those who do not share their religion. This seems to be predominantly a xtian thing - and I suspect may originate from the commandment not to speak the name of God.

Can we add a link to the edited entry on 'Names'? - and perhaps a mention that the original edict not to speak the name of God may have its roots in the same "true name gives power over it" thing. I seem to recall that the details are in the 'Names' entry.

> "As far as the Four Truths go... in order to be at peace, do you not have to be free of suffering in your life?"

I think this should be taken out, or an explanation of what the 4 truths are should be added: as it is it will probably confuse more than it enlightens, by referring to something unmentioned up till now...

Since we've mentioned Eris, can we link her name to the entry on Discordianism? Similarly, can we make a link to the entry on the Buddha, when we invoke his name (in vain?) ?

--

I still feel that the "argument for disbelief" and the "theist reply" should both be removed. They are unbalanced and I think they could be replaced at no loss by a couple of links to the edited entries on atheism and agnosticism, and the comment that some people don't believe in the existance of any kind of God, and some are unsure whether one exists and if so what form it takes. The reasons people believe or not is information on *people*, not on *gods*.

--

Having said all that, I do really like this entry - I was concerned by its initial format, but I think the edits have really cleared up the dust - there's much more emphasis now on what god *might be*, not what it *is* - and I think that's grand.

Good work on a very tricky topic - I hope this entry prompts people to write more entries on their own personal Gods, and the religion section of the guide to fill up rather nicely.


Key: Complain about this post

notes to editor: nitpicks.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more