A Conversation for What is God?

The internet and God

Post 1

Zickalyv

The definition of God is an omnipotent, all knowing being. As someone once said (sorry I don't remember who), this definition can also apply to the internet, with it being accesible all around the world and containing the sum of all human knowledge. Does this make the internet a god?
Many people now devout their lives to the internet.
The internet, like God, does not exist in our physical universe, yet has a great influence on many peoples lives.
Many people comunicate regularly with the internet in the hope that it will provide the answers, and also the companionship they desire.
Many people claim that one day the internet will solve all our problems and make the world a better place.

God exists by peoples belief in Him. It does not matter what God is. It is the belief in God that gives people guidance though the difficult times that life throws upon us. The Universe is not a perfect place, for in a perfect life there is no need to believe in a God who can help us. God exists because of our belief and cannot exist without. To some people the internet may be God. To others a spirtual being who watches over us. Some poeple belive in the clockwork, mathematical universe which needs no outside control, yet this belief is what gives them comfort and guidence, and so is God in all but name.

We all need to believe, and we all need God, whatever you belive Him to be or however you refer to Him.


The internet and God

Post 2

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

The only thing that God and the Internet have in common is that they are both created by mankind smiley - winkeye.
I think it is very arrogant to say that just because people believe in the mathematics of the universe makes them theists. And besides, you contradicted yourself in saying that. At first you say that "God is an omnipotent, all knowing being". Mathematics is not omnipotent - it isn't even a being! You need to be clear in what God is. If it is what you first defined, then I dismiss God. If God is actually just a fancy name for astrophysics then I believe in God.
Now, I don't quite follow your view that the Internet is a omnipotent deity. The Internet is physical network used for communication. It is very useful and is making the world a better place, but did not create the universe.
I also finally think it is arrogant to say that "we all need God". There are many people that do very well without God. I see God as an obstruction, not an aid. I understand why many people keep the notion of God, but we don't all need to believe and we do not need God.

Let me conclude by saying that I am not intending to offend you and have nothing against you but am simply defending my case and what I attacking what I see as the arrogance of theism. smiley - smiley


The internet and God

Post 3

Sprinks Leda

the internet doesn't know everything. In fact, as a bunch of wires and so on, I don't imagine it knows much at all.
Can the internet possibly know my appearance? typing speed even? no. And it is absolutely incapable of acting on its own behalf for one thing. The internet can't build a rocket, let alone a human. It can't even fix itself.

Or maybe it just doesn't want to....?


The internet and God

Post 4

Martin Harper

There are proposals for making an internet-based AI, though - it was in a recent copy of new scientist, for example.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more