A Conversation for What is God?

What is God?

Post 1

la femme

You don't ask easy questions, do you?

It seems to me that the nature of God/Creator/ Higher Being is nothing I can know with any certainty. I speculate, and believe, but do not know.

I believe that the Creator is pure spirit, and that before we are born, we are also pure spirit, and part of the Greater Being. We choose to be born, to become corporeal, and we choose our parents, our siblings, our network of family and relations, in order to learn specific lessons. While we are part of the Greater Being, we know everything, but we cannot grow or learn, so we become corporeal, as that is the only way we can grow and evolve spiritually.

The Creator is not male or female, not parent and child and ghost, not good or bad, not of any racial or ethnic particular. The Creator simply is. We are manifestations of the power of the word of God on this physical plane. As corporeal beings, our lives are a journey towards rediscovering that essential connection and oneness with God.

War is a human invention, as is racism, prejudice, bigotry of any kind. War is not an aspect of God, it is an aspect of being human. It is one of the ways we have chosen to use as forums for growth and development.

By eating the Apple (the archetype of Choice), we chose to have free will. We developed war, as we developed many things, as a function of free will. We get to choose whether we indulge ourselves with war and hatred in the name of God.

The Creator is joyous compassionate abundance. In this world, there is everything we need to live, and live well, to enjoy our lives and perceive them as ones of peace, contentment, fulfillment, and satisfaction. It is our choice of perception that convinces us we live in a world of want and despair. There is enough for everyone. We simply don't believe.


What is God?

Post 2

gilly

hmm, I don't know about all this choosing business. I guess, i dont know, but im not completely in agreement to that. Seems too contrived I guess, or something.


What is God?

Post 3

gilly

I also think that war etc. are not just of human invention. This might seem really simplistic, but I like to look at things from a natural point of view, assimilating human beings with all the things around us, anyway, animals also fight and dont get along. sometimes a mother with decide she doesnt like one egg or cub, or pup, or ugly duckling, and just stop caring for it. Even plants and trees steal stuff, like kudsu doun south, and evil bacterias and viruses and stuff. Even atoms steal electrons from one another. Everything is war. Also,I certainly don't think humans are any different than the rest of nature. Obviously we have the power to destroy everything, but I don't think "God" specifically made the earth for us , whatever I guess that make sense since I don't really believe in that type of God, anyway...


What is God?

Post 4

la femme

That's not war. That's nature. War is an invention. The Israeli/Palestinian War, ongoing. The Kosovan War. The conflicts named WWI and WWII. War is waged by humans who want something they don't need, or shouldn't have wanted, or had no right to, or they are trying to make everyone live and think and feel the same way they do about something, or they are trying to own something that can't be owned. War is all about fear, despair, hatred, intolerance, ignorance. it is about being destructive rather than constructive. It is about the perception that there isn't enough for everyone, so some have to do without. Atoms exchange. Animals fight and don't get along when they are mating, or feeding, or breeding. Humans kill each other from despite and anger, greed, hatred, etc., etc., etc. There's a BIG difference in intent, and in result.


What is God?

Post 5

Great Red Dragon

Not to mention that atoms aren't actually sentient intelligences, so they can't "own" electons, so they can't "steal" electons. We use the word "steal" when teaching subatomic physics for simplicity, not to imply that any crime or sin is taking place. An electon simply moves in the direction that the charge force moves it.


What is God?

Post 6

gilly

Thats like, my roomate had to write a paper on why there is evil in the world, and I have never been taught anything about that, but I thought, that , like the scientific theory, okay, im not really good at science, but, how everything never stays in order, you know what I mean? anyway, I was thinking that that is why there is evil in the world, because without evil everything would stay in place, but science says that everything can't stay in place, so that is what evil is for, and that is how I connect atoms to war, meaning not that they think, but, I want to say that it is natural, but that is used so many ways, I mean that these things occur in the world without humans deciding to do it. Yeah, someone's not very articulate, but...


What is God?

Post 7

Martin Harper

Animals *do* wage war - typically over territory between different packs of, eg, wolves. Generally their wars are less destructive, though - between animals it is normally easy to tell who would win a fight, so the one who would lose has an incentive to back down early. In human affairs the question of who is the stronger is harder to ascertain.
{hence, spies, despite being detested by the general populace, are one of the biggest forces for peace around.}


What is God?

Post 8

jbliqemp...

War is more about fear; of starvation, of plague, of slavery. Ultimately, of death. Not that war is better than comprimise, but it satifies the human urge to continue, to be proactive, now.

There may be an abundance on Earth, but it is not available in the same amounts to all.

WWI and WWII were wars of [not necessarily justified] need. WWI was caused by the involved countries need for protection, and later, their need to do what was expected of them. It may seem that the wars were expansionist (as all wars do), but they stem from humanity's desire for abundance, security, and free will.

I don't believe in true evil; only in differing intent and circumstance.

-jb


What is God?

Post 9

Martin Harper

war, or the threat of war, is sometimes the only way to get countries to change their foreign policy. In the past, protectionist trade policies caused problems - troops might be sent in to open up vital markets by force. In the future, global warming may be the reason... Cut emissions or take a nuke.


What is God?

Post 10

jbliqemp...

Which would cause some real global warming. At least in the imediate sense.

-jb


What is God?

Post 11

Martin Harper

Mainly local warming - while there would be heat generated, there wouldn't be so much carbon dioxide or other greenhouse gases, so most of it should just escape into space...


What is God?

Post 12

jbliqemp...

Don't know.. it would depend a lot on the scale of the offending country. I'm sure no one would notice Luxumberg being wiped off the map, but Russia's a bit bigger. Also, following nuclear blasts, there are frequently fires.

-jb


What is God?

Post 13

Sprinks Leda

actually, a decent amount of nuking would not cause global warming. Heard of nuclear winter? It doesn't mean that when winter comes around you can expect it to be nuclear. It means that the bombs kick up so much dust the sun is completely obstructed and the earth cools by 10-15 degrees celsius.


What is God?

Post 14

jbliqemp...

Yeah, but I was talking about the immediate effects.

-jb


Key: Complain about this post