Blood and Circulation - Glossary

0 Conversations


Active Transport - The movement of a substance across a cell membrane. This process requires energy.


Alveolus - (Plural - Alveoli) One of thousands of tiny airsacs inside the lungs designed to increase surface area.


Amino Acids - The building blocks of proteins.


Arteries - The larger blood vessels that lead away from the heart.


Arterioles - Smaller blood vessels that lead between the arteries and the capillaries.


Atrium - (Plural - Atria) One of the two upper chambers of the heart.


Capillaries - The smallest of blood vessels in which diffusion of food and gases takes place.


Diastole - Relaxation of the cardiac muscle.


Diffusion - The movement of a substance from an area of high concentration to a lower one.


Endothelium - An epithelium that lines a tube or space.


Epithelium - A tissue that lines or covers an organ.


Erythrocytes - The long name for red blood cells.


Fibrinogen - A plasma protein involved inclotting.


Granulocytes - Whit blood cells with a multi-lobed nucleus that play a role in allergies and fighting disease.


Haemoglobin - An Iron based glycoprotein, located in the red blood cells, that combines with oxygen to carry it around the body.


Heart - The organ that pumps blood atround the body by contracting.


Hydrostatic Pressure - The pressure that blood exerts against capillary walls causing the formation of tissue fluid.


Leucocytes - The long name for white blood cells.


Lymphocytes - White cell with very little cytoplasm used to secrete antibodies and fight infection.


Mitochondrion - The parts of a cells that produce energy.


Monocytes - White cell with kidney-bean shaped nucleus that ingests cell fragments.


Nucleus - The part of a cells that contains its DNA and that issues its instructions.


Plasma - The yellow liquid that blood cells are suspended in.


Platelets - Small cell fragments involved in blood clotting.


Pulmonary - Of the lungs.


Serum - Not quite sure.


Sink - Where a substance is being transported to.


Source - Where a substance is being transported from.


Systole - Contraction of the cardiac muscle.


Veins - Larger blood vessels leading back to the heart.


Ventricle - One of the lower chambers of the heart.


Venules - Smaller blood vessels that lead between the capillaries and the veins.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A471700

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more