A Conversation for The Smiths - the Band

Wordsmiths and non-romantics

Post 1

Dudemeister

That's more than I ever knew about Morrisey and co. Thanks.

This is one of those bands I may never tire of listening to. I always keep a compilation tape in my car (I think I have done for about 7 years now - it is great music for driving to sales meetings to, or going to work with, or leaving work with after a tough day). It is poetry.

You mentioned "New Romantics". Wasn't there a band "The Romantics" popular about 17 years ago? I only remember this as I lived in Montreal at the time. The local rock station's DJ I liked best has (or used) a very French Quebec accent - and the emphasis he put on English words was different. "The Romantics" were as I remember "duh Roman Ticks". Brings up images of ancient conquering hoards of technologically dominant blood sucking creepy crawlies - which was more entertaining than the music (Perhaps that should be Ancient Roman Ticks?).


Wordsmiths and non-romantics

Post 2

Ormondroyd

Thank you for the kind words! Like you, I've never tired of my old Smiths records. They were indeed a very special band.
I'd never hear of The Romantics before - I don't think they ever made much impact in Britain. But after reading your post, I decided to look them up, and I imagine that this is the band you meant:[URL removed by moderator]
If so, it seems that they've re-formed, so fans can enjoy them and DJs can mis-pronounce their name once again! (And just LOOK at those vintage Eighties haircuts in the photo... smiley - bigeyes)


Wordsmiths and non-romantics

Post 3

Dudemeister

Interesting web site - I could skew the figures for "artist qualities". What is "Dense/Thick" the music or the musicians - and how do you define it?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more