A Conversation for Pediculosis

Is "bug-busting" truly effective?

Post 1

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

This entry claims that:

"The most reliable way to get rid of the bug is the hard way: to systematically, methodically and manually remove all live lice, apparently dead lice and nits."

And goes on to describe the classic technique of "bug-busting," in which children are wet-combed (generally with conditioner or some other substance) to remove lice and nits.

While I am in no way in favor of dumping pesticides on the heads of little kids, I must point out that "bug-busting" as been repeatedly shown to be less effective than pediculocides (pesticides, such as malathion or permethrin, that kill lice and/or nits). A more appropriate phrasing might be "The safest way to get rid of the bug...."


For a recent example, look at this article:

Roberts RJ, Casey D, Morgan DA, Petrovic M. Comparison of wet combing with malathion for treatment of head lice in the UK: a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2000 Aug 12;356(9229):540-4

(the abstract is available online at:
[URL removed by moderator])

The randomised controlled trial found that wet-combing resulted in a 38% cure rate, as opposed to 78% with malathion (and this was in an area with intermediate malathion resistance).

For those that are looking for a more effective solution to pediculosis that doesn't involve pesticides, check out my entry on the RobiComb -- it's been shown to be about as effective as permethrin, which is equally effective as malathion.
http://www.h2g2.com/A471386

just plugging in my 2 cents.

smiley - smiley
mikey


Is "bug-busting" truly effective?

Post 2

I'm not really here

Thanks for this, I found that those treatments didn't work. We were still infested the next day.
A couple of goes in the bath always clears my kid up. and a few days in front of the mirror clears me up when I catch them too.


Is "bug-busting" truly effective?

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

As a general rule, medical studies don't tell you which treatments will work for any given individual, they tell you which treatments work best *on average*, across a population.

There are families who swear by using vaseline or mayonnaise, or somesuch, because it's worked for them, but in medical trials they are no more effective *on average* than not using anything at all.

This is what doctors are for -- they combine what they know from medical studies, etc., with what they know about the particular patient to figure out the best treatment.

For example, if a family lived in an area with high malathion/permethrin resistance (i.e., London), and the pediatrician knew that the mother and kids could be patient enough to remove the nits/lice thoroughly, the doctor would probably recommend bug-busting/wet-combing as a first-line treatment. Apparently, malathion and permethrin were considerably overused in the UK over the last few decades, and hence British lice have built up resistance -- the drugs are much more effective elsewhere in the world.

smiley - smiley
mikey


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more