A Conversation for Agnosticism

Atheist?

Post 161

Mal

I seem to have stopped all conversation on this thread simply by talking. D'oh.
Oh, and: Yo' Momma.


Atheist?

Post 162

Mal

...................shameless bookmarking in the faint hope of a future response.


Atheist?

Post 163

Mal

........more disgustingly appalling bookmarking........


Atheist?

Post 164

Noggin the Nog

To believe everything is to believe nothing.

You cannot doubt everything at once, or the doubt has no meaning.

Noggin


Atheist?

Post 165

Mal

Precisely the point, except that naturally, my brain being the ascientific piece of cruddy engineering (THANKS, GOD) that it is, I can't avoid opinions, all I can do is do my best to doubt them at least as much as I can. Varying levels of doubt are possible. Once doubt has no meaning, belief has no meaning either, so it throws what little (comparitively) knowledge I have into sharp relief. I view doubt as one of the healthiest things there is for a mind, since total, unconditional belief in anything is, to me, undoubtably bad.


Atheist?

Post 166

Mal

..........bookmark........


Atheist?

Post 167

Mal

I think I'll have discussions with myself while I'm bookmarking.


Atheist?

Post 168

Mal

What a good idea, mal.


Atheist?

Post 169

Mal

You know what, I think your haircut is simply SPIFFING.


Atheist?

Post 170

Noggin the Nog

Can't add anything to that.

Noggin


Atheist?

Post 171

Noggin the Nog

BTW, I should apologise for calling you gullible; you'd just been posting something on Justin's page that made me think you were a sort of second version of the benighted one.

Noggin


Atheist?

Post 172

Mal

Oh, that was probably around the time I was trying to gain his trust by pretending I was Christian. But there's probably a house rule against that, so don't tell anybody.....


Atheist?

Post 173

Noggin the Nog

Don't think so. If you were doing it as a provocation it would be trolling though. Still no one's complained.

Noggin


Atheist?

Post 174

Mal

Well, they wouldn't, would they, since Justin had next to no support, and what little power base he'd managed to gather collapsed behind him as he left. Thank "God", I still haven't gotten around to reading the house rules and am forced to make educated guesses as to their content.
Not that it really matters, since (I suspect) Justin went around with a chainsaw and personally decapitated all the moderators after (I suspect) he was banned from the site.


Atheist?

Post 175

Whizz Kid

If we substitute the word "faith" for "religion" it introduces the concept of belief, which is in turn, has elements of trust within it. We choose to accept statements (or cookies, or downloads) from trusted sources...

We all have amazing amounts to faith to accept things at face value, IF we trust the source.

I would say that if you consider the origins of the universe, it takes more faith to believe that nothing created something out of nothing, rather than someone created something out of nothing (ie God). The reason I "trust" that viewpoint is that I know God, through prayer we talk every day. He has proved himself to be real to me, and has done things that others cannot explain. They choose to attribute those things to "the unknown", but I to a know certainty, the miraculous healing of broken bones and loneliness and rejection to God, an expression of His love and concern for me personally.


Atheist?

Post 176

Mal

So you accept that it may be impossible for me to understand/see/believe in God?


Atheist?

Post 177

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

"I would say that if you consider the origins of the universe, it takes more faith to believe that nothing created something out of nothing, rather than someone created something out of nothing (ie God)."

And I think it takes even less faith to believe that the universe wasn't created, ever.

Please consider. The universe had a beginning, the big bang. However, time is merely a dimention of the universe, so time began at the big bang. There was no before the big bang because time did not exist before it. The universe had a beginning, but there was never a time before it, so it needs no creator, nor does it need to creat itself.

Also, if anyone here konw's what I'm talking about when I say this, we may have found another Justin the Preacher.


Atheist?

Post 178

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

"Also, if anyone here konw's what I'm talking about when I say this, we may have found another Justin the Preacher."

Actually, maybe not. I misread the post I was talking about. I still stand by my statement that the universe needs not be created by itself or anythingelse, since there was no time before it. It has existed as long as time has.


Atheist?

Post 179

Mal

You're basing your entire theory upon other theories which are made up by humans as a result of reality tunnels and not logic? I still hold anything of the sort to be foolish.


Atheist?

Post 180

R. Daneel Olivaw -- (User 201118) (Member FFFF, ARS, and DOS) ( -O- )

With all due respect, what in Seldon's name are you talking about by "reality tunnels"?


Key: Complain about this post