A Conversation for Elaine Rivis Anderson - The Little Girl In The Cemetery

The sad death of Elaine RIVIS Anderson

Post 1

DYLANESQ43

Elaine is virtually 100% related to my family from the Vale of York area.The Rivis/Revis (they are all related) families surround the Vale and are mainly located in the Kirkbymoorside and Sherburn/Wolds areas. We also have a substantial grouping in the midlands around Leicester.Also in the North Casolina/Viginia in USA.

The name arises from Cistercian Rievauly Abbey, near Helmsley, N. Yorks. where it was clearly listed on a John Speede Map of 1588 as Rivis Abbey.There were other spellings throughout the ages of Rivux, Ryvisse and Rius but the Rivis and Revis spellings persisted.

Jane and George Anderson were stated as being from 'York'. Birdsall, Wharram-le-Street and Sherburn-in-Elmet are very close by and held many Rivis families, farmers, brewers and millers in general.

It was very much ahead of it's time for the mother's maiden name to be included in the child's middle name and I admire Jane very much for her strength of character for doing that.She must have been quite a young woman.

I'd be happy to hear from the author of this piece or anyone else. I live in Montpelier, Vermont, USA and my email address is [email protected]

Jim Rivis
4/26/09


The sad death of Elaine RIVIS Anderson

Post 2

Rob

Hello Jim

Sorry not to have replied before but I do not visit this site as much these days. Thankyou for contacting me and it is interesting what you say about the history of the Rivis name. I have also been in contact with a John Rivis which I will explain later by email. John has carried out extensive research on the Rivis family and hopefully I can put you in touch with each other.

Rob


The sad death of Elaine RIVIS Anderson

Post 3

DYLANESQ43

I havenot heard from you or John Rivis.
James Dylan Rivis


Key: Complain about this post

The sad death of Elaine RIVIS Anderson

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more