A Conversation for How to Measure Your Bra Size and Buy a Bra that Fits

This does not work

Post 1

belladonna_eyes

"Just to make it even easier, here's a worked example. You measure around your back and find a measurement of 30 inches. This is an even number so you add four inches to find a band size of 34. You measure around your bust and find a measurement of 36 inches. Your bust size is two inches larger than your band size, so you are a C cup. When you next shop for a bra you look for one labelled '34C'. It fits wonderfully. You are happy."

Those just happen to be my exact measurements, but a 34C most definately does NOT fit wonderfully!!!
I am actually a 30E!!!

It is a myth that you have to add several inches to your underbust measurement to get your band size. You only have to round it up to the nearest even number. It is thanks to people repeating this myth that 80% of women wear the wrong size bra, most wearing a band size far too big and a cup size too small.

As a rough guide:

A size 8 woman should wear a band size 28,
a size 10 woman should wear a band size 30,
a size 12 should be a 32 etc.

Go to http://www.bigbrasizemystery.co.uk/index.php to find you REAL bra size.


This does not work

Post 2

I'm not really here

One thing I'd query - is the clothes size you are talking about the size of the clothes that someone is wearing, or their actual, real clothes size, which is usually a higher number than the number the one in the dress labels?


This does not work

Post 3

belladonna_eyes

It is just a rough guide, as dress sizes vary between shops anyway, but the best way to put it would probably be if you're a size 10 in the waist/underbust area, that would be around a 30 band size.

the formula that produces a more accurate size is:

1 - measure underbust in inches
2 - round this measurement up to the nearest even number.
This is your band size
3 - measure bustline in inches (wearing a well-supporting bra)
4 - round this measurement up to the nearest whole number
5 - work out the difference between the 2 numbers
6 - for every inch difference, go up a cup size, as follows:

less than 1 inch - AA
1 inch - A
2 inches - B
3 inches - c
4 inches - D
5 inches - DD
6 inches - E
7 inches - F
8 inches - FF
9 inches - G

If the size you get from this method is too tight, go up a band size
and down a cup size.

eg underbust measures 31 inches, bust measures 37 inches
Bra size should be 32DD, but if this is too tight, a 34D may fit better.


This does not work

Post 4

I'm not really here

The trouble is, that method would leave me in a 30E bra - I don't think I'd get that done up round my back, and that cup is *way* too big for me. What am I doing wrong?

Clothes-wise I'm wearing 12-14.


This does not work

Post 5

I'm not really here

Even if I make the changes you suggest, a 32D still wouldn't fit. smiley - erm


This does not work

Post 6

belladonna_eyes

I'm a 30E and I also wear a 12-14, but only because of larger bust and hips. Most modern clothes don't fit over the ribcage and waist area anyway, so women aren't used to things fitting that part of their body, and don't really think about it when talking about their dress size.

The cup size is relative - if you're wearing, say, a 34D now, then if you went down to a 32, you'd have to go up to a DD, and if you went down to a 30, you'd have to go up to an E.
If you are actually smaller than that, remember the formula is only a guide, at the end of the day, the right cup size is the one that fits.

As for fit - don't knock it 'til you've tried it, as they say. I used to think I was a 34D, not realising that the band isn't meant to be loose and stretchy, it's meant to actually fit. Go and try on a 30E and see what it's like.

Can you imagine a bloke going to buy a pair of trousers, and saying:
"well, my waist measures 32 inches, so I think I'd better go for a size 36"


This does not work

Post 7

I'm not really here

I'll see if I can find one - normally I start at 34B and see how that feels - a couple I have to go up to 36 because the 34 makes me bulge under the shoulders! I can't see how an E cup will fit, without being too big! But I'll have a go.


This does not work

Post 8

belladonna_eyes

When you say that you sometimes bulge out under the shoulders, do you mean that you're spilling out of the cups at the sides? If so, then you need to go up a cup size, not a band size.


This does not work

Post 9

I'm not really here

E definitely does not fit. I tried my friend's D about a week ago, and it was no way near the right size. M&S say I'm no longer a C but a B so I'm happy with that.


This does not work

Post 10

belladonna_eyes

When you say you tried on a friend's D, was it a 30D? If it was a bigger band size, say a 34D or 36D, then it would probably be too big as cup size is relative.

I would strongly suggest getting fitted at another shop as well, if only to get a second opinion, as I have heard bad reviews about M&S fitting. Whenever I have tried on M&S bras, I've been a different size in every style, so I wouldn't trust their sizing either.


This does not work

Post 11

belladonna_eyes

"normally I start at 34B and see how that feels - a couple I have to go up to 36 because the 34 makes me bulge under the shoulders!"

If you bulge out, you need to go up a cup size, not a band size. eg if you find you bulge out of a 34B, you should try a 34C (or even a 32D, as I suspect a 34 is too big)
You don't need a bigger band size unless the one you're wearing is too small to fasten round your back.


This does not work

Post 12

silvrefaerie1

Somehow, I don't think that measurement system is really that great. It puts me at a 26G, and that size bra is really damn difficult to find! Also, surely, if the bra feels too tight, you should go up a cup size, not a band size? I think this website probably has the best measuring system I've come across: http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php


This does not work

Post 13

belladonna_eyes

If it feels too tight around the chest band, (ie you can hardly fasten it) you should go up a band size. If the cups feel too tight, (ie you are bulging out) you should go up a cup size.

The reason that bras in small band sizes/large cup sizes are difficult to find is that people are not demanding them enough. 80% of women wear the wrong size, (half wear a band size which is too big, and 60% of people who wear a C cup should be a D or bigger) so the shops simply aren't aware of the demand. It acts like a vicious circle, if people almost never see sizes below 32 or above DD in the shops, they don't realise they are actually quite common sizes.

I entered my measurements into that bra size calculator and it told me I should be a 34C... I'm actually a 30F...


This does not work

Post 14

margamoontree

I agree with Belladonna. According to the conventional measuring technique, I should be a 36A. Well, to start with the cup on a 36A bra is too small for me - I'd need a B. But I also found the back rides up, causing the straps to fall down. I tried a 34C, but it rubbed uncomfortably. Then I went to Sadie the Bra Lady (specialist bra fitters in Sunderland) and to my shock she said I needed a 32DD! This size has been confirmed by Bravissimo as well.

By the way, the cup on a 32DD is about the same size as the cup on a 36B. It's a myth that all DD boobs are the same size - the letter is meaningless without a back measurement. If the back of your bra is too big but the cup fits, you need to go up a cup as well as down a back size.


This does not work

Post 15

margamoontree

Incidentally, neither Sadie nor Bravissimo use measuring tapes. They actually try the bras on you to find the best fit.


This does not work

Post 16

I'm not really here

Lots of places do that if you ask - the measurement is like measuring your feet for shoes - it gives the assistants an idea of where to start looking on the shelves.

Last time I went for a bra fitting I came home with three - all different sizes because the maufacturers we all different and don't 'sync' their sizes.


This does not work

Post 17

Allyria

Bra-buying is such a nightmare!

According to the standard method and the size-calculator posted above, I'm a 34DD, however I'm currently wearing a 34E and it's a great fit!

After being measured by M&S I was told I should wear a 34E or a 36D. As mentioned my 34E is great but I bought a 36D and I'm back to bulging out of the cups smiley - sadface

So now I'm confused as what size to look for. I'm not opposed to trying a few sizes on but the bra shops in my area generally don't sell pretty styles in larger sizes.

For anyone familiar with Bravissimo and online shopping, are you able to order a couple and return the ones that don't fit for a refund?


This does not work

Post 18

belladonna_eyes

Yes, you can always return bras you buy online from Bravissimo, they have a very good returns policy. www.figleaves.com is another good online shop with a very wide range of sizes.


This does not work

Post 19

tigerlily311

I use this method (posted by belladonna_eyes) rather than the one in the article, it works on everyone I've tried it on. I think its absolutely appalling that trained bra sizing people in stores are trained in an incorrect method. there's no wonder most women in the uk are in a poorly fitted bra. also avoid all 'bra size calculators' online they all use the other method and will give you a badly fitted bra.


This does not work

Post 20

Gillyches

I have just been measured for a new bra... and what a surprise I got! I had been wearing 36B.... after being measured properly I now find that I'm a 32F (or 34D if that size is unobtainable)... amazing! It feels comfortable although I'll have to get used to the more 'snug' fit. Great! the first poster was right!smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post