A Conversation for How to Teach your Child the Basics

How NOT to teach your child how to swim

Post 1

Caledonian

Do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to teach your child your to swim by throwing him/her into a body of water. Trust me on this. The "Sink or Swim" method of instruction only works if you're willing to let the kid sink... which tends not to instill a love of water in them. Odd how drowning and near-death experiences can establish a permanent phobia, isn't it?

[bows respectfully]

--Caledonian


How NOT to teach your child how to swim

Post 2

Barney's Bucksaws

We didn't actually teach the Kid to swim. What we did was get him interested in fishing. Our little hero wanted to go down to the river with his friends to fish. A group of them took their tackle and rods, hopped on their bikes and rode the few blocks to the Red River. Now, this is a muddy, deep, current-filled river. We told him he couldn't go till he learned to swim, and we'd checked him out. Then we put him in swimming lessons. He learned as fast as he could, and then spent many happy hours at the river bank.


Key: Complain about this post

How NOT to teach your child how to swim

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more