A Conversation for The Promenade Concerts

Last Night

Post 1

HollePolle

I hoped there would have been some more information about the Last Night of the Proms. Has anybody been there? What about costumes?

And besides, do not listen via the net!

Pomp and Circumstances!

HollePolle.


Last Night

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

The Proms are called "Promenades" because a large part of the audience must stand, no seats being provided for them. This doesn't seem to be mentioned.

Vaughn Williams should be Vaughan Williams.

There should be something about the traditions of the last night: Rule Britannia, Pomp & Circumstance #1 / Land of Hope and Glory, The Hornpipe, Jerusalem.


Pomp

Post 3

HollePolle

Do you know the composer of Pomp and Circumstance?


Pomp

Post 4

Bluebottle

I don't know Elgar personally....
I was at Hyde Park for the Last Night of the Proms, and wrote a Post Report about it here:
http://www.h2g2.com/A434017

<BB<


Pomp

Post 5

Post Team

... and I wrote a report for the Post about the first night, so I guess that maybe we should consider re-formatting them and putting them as links.
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 6

Post Team

OK.. the full article can be found here:
http://www.h2g2.com/A394832
I DID actually mention about the fun of promenading in the *well*, but this appears to have been edited out! Any more suggestions welcome smiley - smiley
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 7

Ashley



Hey y'all

Just to let you know that I've made the Vaughan correction. Shaz I went to the original and couldn't find yur definition of Proms - would you post a paragraph here and I'll stick it in the edited version.

Cheers.


Ashley smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 8

Post Team

Ok smiley - smiley I'll go and hunt through my notes then smiley - smiley Be back shortly! LOL
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 9

Post Team

OK... after *keeping ticket prices low* add:
and allowing the audience to 'Promanade' or walk around the arena or well of the venue.

Thanx smiley - smiley
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 10

Post Team

Oops... you better take out the other *and* and put a comma instead... sorry about that!
programmes, keeping ticket prices low and etc etc

I don't know whether you want to re-instate the final original sentence again about ticket prices and the need to queue...
let me re-write it and see what you think!

shazzPRME... suffering from brain failure due to a bad cold!


Pomp

Post 11

Ashley

Hi Shaz

I think the bit about queueing is important

Could you post me all the corrections/amendments in the next posting (incuding as yu did before where they are to go) and I will put it into the edited entry.


Pomp

Post 12

shazzPRME

*First introductory paragraph*
The Promenade Concerts comprise a fabulous feast of music provided annually by the BBC. They were started in 1895 by the manager of the newly built Queen's Hall in London; Robert Newman. His intention was to provide a series of concerts which would be more accessible to the general public by offering more popular programmes, keeping ticket prices low, and allowing the audience to 'promenade' or walk around the arena or 'well' of the venue.
*Last paragraph*
Ticket prices are still kept to an affordable price, the most popular tickets being the ones which allow the concert-goer to 'promenade'. Queuing is advisable for the more popular concerts, and be prepared to camp out in the street to gain entrance to the 'Last Night'. Seats for this concert are only obtainable by entry in a bizarre 'lottery', at least half a year before, so it is advisable to apply early.
The 'First' and 'Last Night' concerts provide a rich tapestry of music, and a description of those held in the year 2000, may be accessed at the The First Night of the Proms and ~insert Bluebottle's article here possibly~ articles.

I realise that you can't link to the First and Last Night articles until they have been approved... so I better pop over to the relevant page and recommend them! I have included them so that you can have a chance to see if it's worth doing!

shazzPRME smiley - winkeye



Pomp

Post 13

Ashley


How does it look now?


Pomp

Post 14

shazzPRME

I think that looks much better... now I'll pop along and recommend the other articles and then you will have the complete picture smiley - smiley
Thanx Ashley smiley - smiley
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 15

Ashley



Pleasure's all mine smiley - smiley

See you at the Xmas met up?


Pomp

Post 16

shazzPRME

I certainly hope so yes smiley - smiley
shazzPRME smiley - winkeye


Pomp

Post 17

HollePolle

Discovered, not beeing British or English, but still loving Elgar's music and others', too.

Thanks.

HollePolle


Key: Complain about this post