Topic of the Week: How should the NHS be funded?

5 Conversations

Some pills.

The National Health Service in the UK has been running for nearly 60 years now, and is funded by UK taxpayers. Before the NHS all medical services had to be paid for, and not everyone could afford to visit the doctor. If they could, they then often couldn't afford to pay for any prescribed medicine. Many people relied on home remedies, or those doctors who gave their time for free to charities.

Most of us can't remember a time when healthcare wasn't free, but it remains an important political issue in the UK. So this week, we ask:

  • How should the NHS be funded?

  • All taxpayers pay for medical services, whether or not they use them. Does this system work well, or should we only pay services as and when we use them?

  • There is a charge for prescription drugs; for some people this is free, but when the charge is more expensive than the drug, should we be entitled to a refund of the difference? When drugs are more expensive, should we be charged more?

  • Should we be entitled to 'trade' an NHS hospital appointment for a private one to avoid a long wait by paying the difference?

  • What about an 'opt-out' version of the NHS? We can chose whether we want to pay into it or not, and make our own medical arrangements.

  • How does the system in the UK compare with its overseas counterparts?

  • Is the NHS the best thing since sliced bread? Do you remember the pre-NHS days?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4364066

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more