A Conversation for Driving Etiquette - France

A452837 - Driving in France

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

http://www.h2g2.com/A452837

Here's a short Entry on driving in France for all the UK and Irish drivers.


A452837 - Driving in France

Post 2

Wampus

I was about to say that there's already an entry about that at http://www.h2g2.com/A412796...

...but your article is a WHOLE lot more informative than that one. I would recommend it, but I don't know the protocols for recommending articles to be merged/updated/whatever. I'll work on it, though.

Wampus


A452837 - Driving in France

Post 3

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

My two cents' worth of comments on a good entry:

Kerb stones painted in yellow also indicate 'parking forbidden' areas.
The sign 'toutes directiones' points you to 'everywhere', in the sense of the next way out of town with access to roads of over-regional importance.
The sign 'rappel' reminds you of some restriction which is still valid.
Assign your co-pilot the task of watching out for road signs. Within built-up areas, the french rarely indicate directions more than once.
French drivers on the average see no problems in overtaking just ahead of sharp road bends, or within thick fog.
Especially in the Provence, have a camera ready for all that really beautiful artwork in the center of roundabouts.
In mountain areas (Massif Central and Alps) you need a driver who is fully concentrated on driving, since there may be simply nothing between you and a canyon. An 'avertissez' sign wants you to swich off your radio and honk, in order make acoustic contact with another driver behind a sharp bend, before making physical contact.
The general speed limit on A-roads is 130km/h, and 110km/h if the road is wet from rain. The speed limit on B-roads is 90km/h, but nobody cares.


A452837 - Driving in France

Post 4

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

And just last week they made a new law which lets you loose your driving license right on the spot if you are caught driving faster than 40kph over the limit.


A452837 - Driving in France

Post 5

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

seeing the tremendous amount of entries you've written, you don't seem to take much care of this one, do you?


A452837 - Driving in France

Post 6

Global Village Idiot

I suppose that, having discovered that updates aren't being processed at the moment, Gnomon's concentrating on stuff with more prospect for acceptance.

As it stands, despite being very good, this thread probably ought to be moved out of PR and attached to http://www.h2g2.com/A412796 instead, awaiting the update mechanism.

GVI


A452837 - Driving in France

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

Sorry, Bossel. I see you've been busy on my article when I've been completely ignoring it. When a week had gone by without anyone saying anything particularly constructive about the article, such as "this article has been recommended for inclusion ..." I lost interest in it. As GVI says, I've lots of other stuff in the pipeline. I didn't see your comments, because there was a lot of other stuff going on, so they didn't appear on my Home Page.

I'll try and get around to putting some of your stuff into the article in the next day or two.


Key: Complain about this post