A Conversation for Topic of the Week: House Cleaning Tips

Great cure for stained silverware

Post 1

Wowbaggy

Here it is:
Take a pot and a sheet of aluminium foil, fill the pot with water (not Evian, the simple kind!), heat it until it's just not yet boiling and add a handful of ordinary salt. Put the silver in it and watch. In most cases the black stuff on the silver disappeares like magic, sometimes it's neccessary to wipe with a soft cloth.
It has, of course, something to do with chemistry. Don't ask M E to explain I missed most of my chemistry lessons at school.

Greetings from Wowbaggy!smiley - magic


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 2

Vestboy

What do you do with the aluminium foil?
Is it in the pot? Is it to keep the silver fresh? Do you use it to wrap the spoons?
smiley - winkeye


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 3

BooBoo

Saw this tip being demonstrated on a program about Glamis Castle last week. I didn't notice that any salt was added to the water, though. She just scrunched up a sheet of tinfoil, dropped it in the simmering water, then submerged the silver in the same pot, sitting on top of the scrunched-up foil.


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 4

Wowbaggy

Just put the foil down in the pot. You don't need to wrap the silver in it.


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 5

Wowbaggy

Well, being a complete loser in Chemistry, I cannot explain why to put salt into the water. Maybe it's faster and more aggressive (grrrrr..)?
Any chemistry professors around here?smiley - biggrin


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 6

Vestboy

Maybe it adds flavour! smiley - choc


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 7

Wowbaggy

Great idea! Next time I'll put some garlic into it. I love garlic and maybe it turns off those nasty vampires who always nick my silver spoons..smiley - winkeye


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 8

Vestboy

That sounds like a serious infestation.
Have you thought about keeping them under a cross?


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 9

Wowbaggy

Nah. No cross or other religous stuff will ever cross (!) my threshold. Even though a lot of Germans (I'm German, have I told anyone yet?) are immensily proud of having a German pope now. Hey, maybe I should mail this silver cleaning cure to the Vatican, they have loads of silver around.


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 10

Vestboy

More than they need probably. You could get a sainthood out of this!


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 11

Wowbaggy

Thank you, Vestboy. I'm so proud. I imagine a silver halo slowly rotating over my head. Or do they give you a golden one? I'd like a pair of wings, too. I used to have one of those flying dreams which are supposed to have a (you know whatsmiley - blush) background according to good old Freud.


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 12

Vestboy

Well, if they give you a silver one you'll know how to keep it clean. Flying dreams, eh? I think they are great! Though I've never bumped into the Freud chap in them.


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 13

BooBoo

Flying dreams...'you know what'? Do you mean sexual? I've always associated flying dreams with feeling trapped, trying to escape from situations.
Dontcha just hate the ones where you can't get up the speed to lift off, and pursuers are closing in on you fast? smiley - sadface


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 14

Wowbaggy

Well, I have read they are supposed to have a sexual background altough the one I dreamt had nothing to do with it. I was just flying quite low over a landscape but I had a feeling to be stronger or somehow superior to somebody who was after me. I know the other kind you mentioned, they are really ghastly. By the way, I haven't had dreams for a very long time, neither good nor bad ones..


Great cure for stained silverware

Post 15

Vestboy

Are you getting enough sleep?


Key: Complain about this post