A Conversation for Red Swedish Summer Houses

Red summer house effect

Post 1

AzLan

Swedes have a peculiar relationship with their red summer houses. I should know, since my family owns one not far from Gothenburg. It is approximately 120 years old, red with white details. When repainting the house, every 5 years or so, we always use Falu Red paint.

I think it's supposed to protect the wood or something to that effect.


Red summer house effect

Post 2

hitchhikerbobcarter

It's true that red summer houses occupy an important place at the heart of the Swedish psyche - we repaint ours (in the Stockholm Archipelago) regularly, and always of course with Falu red - I always tease my wife (who's Swedish) that you have to choose this colour otherwise the Swedish paint police come and get you. It certainly does the trick though - the wood cladding lasts incredibly well year on year.

I came across this entry on h2g2 while checking that my own blog post on the subject of Swedish summer houses had been indexed. For more information on the Swedish summer house phenomenon, you may wish to take a look at http://naturetravels.wordpress.com (search on "Swedish summer houses").


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more