Brown Sauce Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Brown Sauce

0 Conversations

Bottles of brown sauce.

Of the many types and brands of sauces available on this good planet, curry sauces, steak sauces, worcestershire sauces, hot sauces, etc., one is particularly prevalent in the Grand English Breakfast - Brown Sauce.

This is not to be confused with Brown Sauces that start with meat products, like roasted veal shanks and knuckle bones. A common example of the breakfast's brown sauce is HP Sauce, which comes in several styles. There is debate as to whether HP represents the name of the originator or for, as has often been claimed, Houses of Parliament; but use of a Brown Sauce is pervasive, to say the least.

The brown sauce starts with a malt vinegar base. The addition of fruits, vegetables, sugars, flours, spices, and still more sauces, make the sauce that is known so well today.

Although few would find it worth the effort to make their own Brown Sauce, it can be done if one has concerns over one or more of the commercial sauces' ingredients; perhaps to make a low sodium or no flour version.

Here is a recipe that can be altered to taste.

Brown Sauce Ingredients:

  • 2 quarts Water
  • 2 cups Malt Vinegar
  • ¾ cup Brown Sugar
  • ¼ cup Tomato Paste
  • ¼ cup Pureed Dates (see 'Variations')
  • ¼ cup Molasses (preferably Black Strap Molasses)
  • 2 tablespoons of Corn Flour, Corn Starch, Arrowroot, or Superfine flour (for thickening)
  • 2 tablespoons Orange Juice Concentrate
  • 2 tablespoons Apple Juice Concentrate
  • 1 tablespoons Chili Pepper
  • 1 tablespoons Tamarind Extract
  • 1 tablespoons Mustard Flour*
  • 1 teaspoon Rye Flour
  • ½ teaspoon Salt
  • ½ teaspoon Allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon Pepper
  • 1 small Onion
  • 2 cloves of Garlic
  • Any additional spices desired (See Variations)
  • Any additional sauces (See Variations)

Ingredients can be added or substituted to further customize the sauce.

Variations:

  • Pineapple, or Mango in varying proportions
  • Cherry and Smoked Chipotle
  • Apples and Prunes
  • Anchovies, or Worcestershire sauce
  • Ground Ginger, Grated Nutmeg, and Cayenne Pepper

Instructions:

  1. Cover the fruit and onions with water in a large pan at medium high heat.
  2. Cook until all are tender.
  3. Add the 2 starch ingredients (flour) to ¼ cup of the liquid to create a thickener
  4. Drain and Liquidise or sieve the solids into a large saucepan.
  5. Add all the Liquid and Spice ingredients (including the thickener), and cook on a low heat until reduced and properly thickened.
  6. Fill sterilised jars or keep refrigerated indefinitely.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A40756025

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more