Cambodia : Angkor Wat

0 Conversations

Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat from the front.

Angkor Wat is the largest of the temples at Angkor and dominates the scene. It is thought that it was built as a funerary temple for Suryavarma II, who ruled between 1112 and 1152.
Angkor Wat is the only of the temples of Angkor that was not reclaimed by the jungle after the Khmer court moved to Phnom Penh in the 15th century.

It was visited in the 16th century by Portuguese travellers and, in the 17th century a Japanese pilgrim drew a detailed plan (although he thought he was in India!). When Henri Mouhot 'discovered' Angkor Wat in the 1860's it was a prosperous monastery with over one thousand inhabitants.

Many things about Angkor Wat are unique; the most obvious being the fact that it faces to the west (the direction of death).

Angkor Wat seen from the top of Phnom BakhengDetail from the 'Churning of the Ocean of Milk', bas relief at Angkor Wat

There are many subtle meanings to the layout of the temple. The central temple tower represents Mt. Meru with its surrounding peaks, while the lower courtyards are the continents and the moat the oceans.

The moat surrounding Angkor Wat is 190 metres wide and 5.6 kilometres around. There are two causeways leading to it; in the west one of sandstone, in the east one of earth. Within the moat is a rectangular walled enclosure, 102 metres by 800 metres.

The central temple complex is made up of three storeys, the corners of the second and third storeys each have a tower. While, at the centre of the third storey, is a 31 metre high central tower.

Like The Bayon, Angkor Wat is also famous for its bas reliefs. On the outside of the central temple complex is an esplanade with an 800 metre series of scenes. They range from depictions of actual battles, the mythological battles of the Gods, to, most famously, 'The Churning of the Ocean of Milk'.

Angkor Wat can get very busy, particularly towards sunset, the best time to see the temple. But, the complex is so large, it is still possible to find a corner with no-one else around.

Another way to see Angkor Wat, if you have a long lens and a tripod, is also at sunset, from the top of Phnom Bakheng

Phnom Bakheng

Phnom BakhengSunset over Tonlé Sap Lake

Phnom Bakheng is the site of the first of the temple mountains built in the Angkor area. At the top of the hill is a seven level temple made up of a base, a five level temple mountain, and the summit.

On the summit is a central sanctuary and four towers (one at each of the cardinal points).

The hill is 1.3 kilometres away from Angkor Wat, affording a different perspective on the temple.
That and the clear vista across the jungle to the Tonlé Sap Lake brings crowds to the summit as the sun is going down.

Down My Lane


The Cambodia Archives


31.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A405523

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more