A Conversation for Nachos

Not necessarily....

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Nachos can be heaped with different things, but don't have to be. If you buy them at a fair or a ballgame, you'll get the simplest variety; a tray of tortilla chips covered with nacho cheese, with a few jalapenos optional. The complete nacho meals are known by a variety of names which honor this grandiose creation: Nachos Supreme, Big-Assed Nachos, etc. These can have, but are not limited to, the following: ground beef, refried beans, lettuce, nacho cheese, tomatoes, salsa, jalapenos, guacamole, and sour cream.


Not necessarily....

Post 2

DickieP

Good point. Simple nachos made from tortilla chips covered with grated cheese and nuked in the microwave for a few seconds make excellent post-pub snacks. Add your own extras on the side for this (BBQ relish, tomato ketchup, pickled peppers etc.).


Not necessarily....

Post 3

Researcher Din

eww, i refuse to believe that anyone would like catsup on natchos. thats just grose


Not necessarily....

Post 4

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Also interesting is the phenomenon of *fake* cheese on inexpensive nachos.

I doubt anyone truly knows what the ingredients are for this 'cheese.' It is a peculiar yellow/orange color. It smells vaguely like spiced plastic. And it coagulates over time, sometimes softening the nacho chips until they are floppy. The fact that bargain brand nacho chips are often used with fake cheese doesn't help mitigate this factor at all.

A semi-hard outer layer of 'cheese' may form if the nachos are left out too long without being eaten. Disturbingly, the 'cheese' underneath the crust layer will seem no different than it was one or more hours before. Neither does it taste or smell different, though I would leave scientific verification of this to the experts.

Nachos made with fake cheese are not to be confused with regular nachos.


Not necessarily....

Post 5

Andy

Ah, yes . . . the ol' fake cheese nachos. You seem to have caught me in an omission, however, personally, I would beg to differ. I don't really consider plasticky chemical-based "cheese" and flimsy cardboard discs to be nachos . . . they are merely evidence of evil forces of work here on earth. smiley - smiley


Not necessarily....

Post 6

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

People we can say that people liberally use the word 'nachos' for two things that are otherwise completely different. smiley - winkeye


Not necessarily....

Post 7

Heidi Supreme

we used to get these nachos in high school... they were the nastiest things ever. it was blasphemy to even call them nachos. all they consisted of were nacho chips, something that resembled meat, but has lots of little 'things' in it that you generally stayed away from, and cheese. the cheese was usually a velveeta/cheeze whiz combo, all chemicals. they were always mushy and the ladies that served them wore rubber gloves. the meat was slopped down with an ice cream scooper and the cheese with a ladle. they put them in a little cardboard dish, which was almost clear with grease by the time you were finished eating.
the worst part is that as bad as this meal sounds, it was still the best meal that william tennent high school had to offer its students.
naturally, 3 years after i left the school, they began to serve "real" nachos. for double the price, you can now get them from taco bell.


Not necessarily....

Post 8

Wampus

If one wants to get some strange looks, just order nachos without cheese. Being lactose intolerant, I have come to enjoy all sorts of normally cheese-laden products without cheese. At the local Taco Bell, they already know to make Nachos Bell Grande without cheese or sour cream as soon as I walk in.

So thankfully, I have never had to endure the "Cheese or Plastic?" situation that you all have described.


Not necessarily....

Post 9

Johnny the homicidal maniac

just shut up. nachos are you new lord AND I AM YOUR SAVIOR!!! YOU SUCK! NACHOS!!! F**K LA MODE!


Not necessarily....

Post 10

Andy

Uhhhhhh . . . . yeah, sure, OK then . . .


Not necessarily....

Post 11

Wampus

Just ignore it and it'll go away. And if it doesn't, I can always get the Towers to delete him.


Not necessarily....

Post 12

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

I must say that Johnny's user page isn't much fun to visit either. On the up side, it looks like he hasn't done a thing at h2g2 in a week. Perhaps he's gone. smiley - winkeye


Not necessarily....

Post 13

Wampus

That's why I didn't immediately tell Anna or Mark about our little Johnny. I figure so long as he doesn't come back, it's not worth spending the time to delete his account. I'm not even sure how deleting of accounts is handled here.


Not necessarily....

Post 14

Researcher Din

i doubt they do, at least not efectivly, what would stop little johnny from just making a new account. even if they blocked the e-mail adress it wouldnt matter, i have like ten myself.


Key: Complain about this post