A Conversation for Selecting and Training a Budgie

nice

Post 1

flyingtwinkle

budgies seem to be good students


nice

Post 2

Wendy RedredRobin

They are excellent mimics. I am amazed that such a small bird can imitate the human voice so accurately, not just pronouncing the words but reproducing the exact tone of voice too.


nice

Post 3

expertArchaeologist

Can anyone tell me if i have a depressed budgie? I have had him a week and he just sits in the bottom of the cage. I know a week isnt a long time but i have never known this before and i have had a lot of birds. the only time he leaves the cage is to eat, but apart from that he just sits there silent!


nice

Post 4

Wendy RedredRobin

Hi expertArchaeologist, where did you get your budgie from? Was it a breeder or a pet shop?

Was it perching when you chose it? Have you had a look at his legs and feet? Sometimes when in the egg their legs can be splayed apart and become disjointed then it is not possible for the chicks to stand.

When I bought my last budgie the breeder had originally promised me a differt bird, which I chose before it had fledged as I had hoped for a violet male. But when this chick came out of the nest he just sat on the floor and would not perch. The breeder refused to sell it to me saying it had a mental / physical problem and would have to be put down. I then bought a slightly older blue male, which sat proudly on its perch.

You say he comes out of his cage to eat so I assume he hops / flies up to get food and is eating OK. Does he react to sound and visual stimulation?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more