Cambodia: Wat Ounalom and Wat Phnom

0 Conversations

Founded in 1443, Wat Ounalom is the headquarters of Cambodian Buddhism. The compound, forty four buildings in all, is about 250 metres north of the Royal Palace along Sisowath Quay.

 Wat Ounalom.

A lot of the buildings and many of the statues were damaged during the Khmer Rouge regime, but things have been repaired and have now returned to normal.
The buildings are used for a variety of purposes; there is obviously the temple itself and the stupa containing an eyebrow hair of the Buddah, but there are also schools, libraries and living quarters.
The patriarch of Cambodian Buddhism lives within the compound1.

On the day I chose to go I didn't want to investigate every nook and corner; I just wanted to wander back and forth soaking up the peaceful atmosphere. For anyone wanting to recharge their batteries after the hustle and bustle of the city I would recommend a few quiet moments here.

WAT PHNOM


Wat Phnom is set on top of the only hill in Phnom Penh.
 Wat Phnom.

The legend goes that the first pagoda was built in 1373 to contain four statues of the Buddah found in the river by an old woman named Penh. Gradually a town grew up around the temple and became known as the "Hill of Penh" or Phnom Penh. The temple has been rebuilt four times, most recently in 1926.
The temple itself is dominated by a massive stupa which holds the ashes of King Ponhea Yat, who died in 1467.

Nowadays, the temple is busy with people praying for luck or returning with offerings of garlands of flowers or fruit when the request has been granted.
On the side of hill is a glazed memorial, commemorating a treaty with the French early in the twentieth century; and, below that, a more modern floral clock. At the base of the hill are concrete benches under shade trees; welcome after climbing up and down the hill. There are fruit sellers and bird sellers2. Also, when I visited, there was even an elephant giving rides.
A point to note, Wat Phnom is just a short walk from the General Post Office, so it is possible to kill two birds with one stone.



Down My Lane


The Cambodia Archives


03.07.00. Front Page

Back Issue Page

1The fourth patriarch Samdech Huot Tat was killed by Pol Pot.2You buy one and then set it free.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A384077

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more