A Conversation for Douglas Adams - His Life and Worlds

The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 1

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

DNA wrote the script and actually appears briefly in the game as the character Leovinus, designer of the ship. If I recall correctly he also provided the voice for the Succ-U-Bus delivery system.

The game is essentially a somewhat hit-and-miss point-and-click adventure, but the 'SpookiTalk' interface, interpreting what the player says (i.e. types) to the robots on the starship, resulted in a lot of scripted and recorded lines. DNA apparently found putting actors in booths, and getting them to say things that couldn't possibly make sense to them, quite nostalgic.

*Wishes he was back home in Derby with his copy of the game and guide to it.*


The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 2

Baron Grim

I can still hear John Cleese counting down as the Bomb to this day.


The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 3

bjoose

where is it possible to find a copy of the game? I have read the book but never played it.


The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 4

Baron Grim

It's still available on Amazon.


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 5

Queixa

What was Adam's first computer game called? Bureaucracy? Something like that. I played it for hours and never even got out of the house. I never figured out if the game was legit or just a big joke. Anyone else ever play it? Anyone still have a copy of it? It aggrivated the bloody batshit out of me, but I'd love to have a copy of it today.


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 6

Baron Grim

I never got a chance to play Bureaucracy. smiley - sadface

I downloaded an emulated version several years ago, but I haven't seen a copy since then... that was on an old obsolete computer and I've since lost track of the file I downloaded (but never installed darnit!)

You can still play a javascript version Adams' InfoCom HGG on the Douglas Adams' website.

http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html

Bring PLENTY of patience... you can't save you're progress..

(smiley - bleepING BABELFISH DISPENSER!!!)


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 7

Existential Elevator

I don't remember "Bureaucracy", but Starship Titanic was rather fab... Not forgettting Terry Jones' book version of the game...


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 8

Baron Grim

The reason that Terry Jones wrote the book was because Douglas Adams couldn't deal with the dual deadlines of game and book... he had to let one make that wonderful whooshing noise as it went past so he gave the book over to Terry Jones.


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 9

Existential Elevator

Interesting random fact... smiley - ok
'Twas still a good book though. As much as Adams probably would have done it better, given the time smiley - whistle


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 10

Baron Grim

It's because of Starship Titanic that I found this place (this original place at http://www.h2g2.com/ )

It's also why I joined on 9.9.1999 with several thousand others...

We all received a mysterious e-mail because we signed up to be alerted of any news about the game. (it took SO long to come out.)


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 11

Ford-Prefect

I'v got Starship Titanic and compleated it on a friends pc, because on my windows xp pc some of the graphics won't work. Anyone got any ideas about what I can do? It is realy a great game.


Ford-p smiley - cheers


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 12

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

Presumably you've tried the compatibility modes.


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 13

Ford-Prefect

Yes I have tryed them all, but the strange thing is that the friends pc is a xp aswell. Mine is profeconal and his home but that is not that as it does not work on a differant friends pc which is home. I'v have reinstaled it and all that but still graphic trouble. smiley - erm


Ford-p


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 14

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

That makes it sound as though it well could be something other than the OS. Different graphics hardware, maybe?


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 15

Ford-Prefect

Well I got a new graphics card about 6 mounths ago and it's 128mg the same as my friends were it works.


Ford


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 16

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

I shouldn't imagine it would be memory, then. Unfortunately I haven't the technical knowledge to comment on compatibility.


The computer game 'Bureaucracy?'

Post 17

Ford-Prefect

Oh well thanks anyway


The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 18

arthur__dent

i obtained a copy of this game from ebay pretty cheap and in new condition


The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 19

RFJS__ - trying to write an unreadable book, finding proofreading tricky

Good luck with the parrot.


The computer game 'The Starship Titanic'

Post 20

Baron Grim

And the Bomb... I heard John Cleese counting down in my head for ages after that.


Key: Complain about this post