A Conversation for Broad Street Line, SEPTA, Philadelphia, USA

Under rated

Post 1

Memorex

When I saw that the orange line in my home town was on the 5 most negelcted list, I had to chime in and save it from that dubiouse distinction.

While the Philly Subway System is not nearly as expansive as NYC, it is good for Philadelphia.
I took the Broad Street line (nicked named the orange line for the color is on the subway maps)
three or for times a week when I was in High School in Philly. Like any subway, it is not recommended that you travel alone, but in a group of three or more, it is fast and convienient. You can get from Center City to the Sports complex in South Philly in 5 minuits. (much better then the 20 min drive, before parking).

I would like to thank the Author for bringing to light a venerable and often overlooked part of our city.


Under rated

Post 2

Heidi Supreme

glad to hear someone agrees with me. i thought the subject was getting neglected. actually, for a while there, the entire city was getting neglected on here. couldn't let that happen, you know?


Under rated

Post 3

Memorex

In general I find Philadelphia as whole to be under rated, not only just in h2g2.

I think that we suffer from bad local. We are smacked right inbetween New York and DC.
Our history as the birthplace of the United States gets overshadowed by DC, and our size (4th largets in the country)
gets over shaddowed by NYC. As a metter of fact I have some relatives in NY, and they think that we suffer from city envy just because NYC is bigger. (they like to refer to Center City as the place with the 'little buildings'). They always fail to realize that NYC is too big, and that Philly grew up from small comunitites that formed one larger one.
I have lived other places, and I have always come back to philly.

(I really should get around to submitting an entry on Philly, I am new here and just haven't found much time to write.)


Under rated

Post 4

Memorex

In general I find Philadelphia as whole to be under rated, not only just in h2g2.

I think that we suffer from bad local. We are smacked right inbetween New York and DC.
Our history as the birthplace of the United States gets overshadowed by DC, and our size (4th largets in the country)
gets over shaddowed by NYC. As a metter of fact I have some relatives in NY, and they think that we suffer from city envy just because NYC is bigger. (they like to refer to Center City as the place with the 'little buildings'). They always fail to realize that NYC is too big, and that Philly grew up from small comunitites that formed one larger one.
I have lived other places, and I have always come back to philly.

(I really should get around to submitting an entry on Philly, I am new here and just haven't found much time to write.)


Under rated

Post 5

Heidi Supreme

i know what you mean. i go to temple university, and so theres kids from all over living with me. the most annoying thing is talking to the kids that are from in and around NYC. all they do is whine and bitch that philly sucks and ny is so much better. after awhile you just want to be like, if nyc is so great then go back there. philadelphia never claims to be better then ny, but the kids seem to think that it is, and that people from philly dont know what theyre missing. i have a suspicion that the people from philly DO know what theyre missing, and thats the reason they choose to miss it.


Under rated

Post 6

Beckomatic

It's strange I came across this article...in a few weeks I'll be flying to Penn to visit colleges(Bryn Mawr+PennST)Is there anything else I should know about Philly?


Under rated

Post 7

Heidi Supreme

um, what to know about philly...hmm...cheese steaks are good, it's ok to buy pretzals from a street vendor, don't take the subway by yourself. if you take the subway, learn which way is north and south, and don't expect change if you put a $20 in the subway token vending machine. if a place is very dark, don't walk there. cabs are a rip off. theres a lot of protests going on, i.e., chinatowns protest against the stadium location, workers union, republican convention, etc. try to aviod these if you see them. remember, you're talking about the city that bombed an entire block of its own people to stop a stand off. if you've never seen the historical stuff, you should, it really is amazing. from living there you tend not to appreciate it as much. south street is popular for shops and stuff. eat as much as you can, the food in philly is so good. theres a reason philadelphia is the fattest city in the country. pick up a copy of the city paper, its free, and it'll tell you lots of stuff thats going on that week, although i dont know how much time you're spending there. the art museum is free on sundays before 1. i don't know what your criteria for a school is, but i go to temple, and its rad. anyway, if i think of anything else, i'll let you know.


Under rated

Post 8

Beckomatic

Wow thanx so much for the advice :^) !!!


Under rated

Post 9

Beckomatic

PS If there's ever anything you want to know about suburban Texas I'm your girl.HAHAHA


Under rated

Post 10

Memorex

Wow,
All this traffic on this forum and it is still the 4th most negelcted list.

I can't stand nyc people that bust on Philly. All I hear about is their 8 sports teams and
supposidly never ending night life. Like we are supposed to be impressed by the NY Islanders and the
NJ Nets. My best responce is to point out how lousy their driver can be and how crowded their roads are.
(have you ever been stuck on the Belt Parkway?)
I agree with you. If you don't like Philly, go home, live on top of each other, and keep putting down other cities
so that you feel less miserable then the other 5 million people that you hate in your own city.
We certainly know what we are missing. And we enjoy missing out on the 'convienience' of NY.

Did you ever get the 'You Don;t know because this is the only place that you have ever lived' speach.
That annoys me the most. Like I am gonna leave just because you told me so. I have lived in other places,
and I have always come back to philly.


Under rated

Post 11

Memorex

Beck,
Heidi S. seemed to cover you prety well about the city.
My bother went to Penn State. (I went to St. Joseph's in Philly, Heidi S should appreciate that since her Basketball team is always beating up on my Basketball team smiley - smiley
So if you have anyquestions, leave 'em hear or on my homepage, and then I'll see if he has any info for you.


Under rated

Post 12

Heidi Supreme

word to that, i know exactly what you mean about the "how can you say philly is the best, you've never lived anywhere else" line. its bull. i think that many people living in philly HAVE lived other places, and that there is a reason that they returned to philly. the rest of the people that live in philly, the ones that haven't lived anywhere else, well, theres a reason for that too. why leave a place if there isn't anything particular reason to leave it? it is a credit to the quality of life in philadelphia that people tend not to want to leave. how often do you hear people grumbling and bitching and moaning about how much they hate new york, (or any other city for that matter), and how they want to live somewhere else in the worst way. i, for one, have never heard that coming from the mouth of anyone in philadelphia, unless, of course, they are from new york.
yes, temple has beaten st. joe a lot in the past, but this past season we lost a pretty important game to them. this year i dont see a whole lot of hope as we lost 2 of the best players on the team, although its rad that Marc Karcher got picked up by the sixers.
and the only other thing i thought someone should know about philly is that if someone tells you to go to 'Samson Shtreet,' that means 'Sansom Street' if you look for it on a map. i think someone might have mentioned that in an article somewhere. not sure.


Under rated

Post 13

Heidi Supreme

also, about the professional sports teams in new york, think about hockey this year. even JERSEY beat new york. and we all know about jersey...


Under rated

Post 14

Beckomatic

We all know what about jersey?All I know is that they beat the Stars(sniffle)


Under rated

Post 15

Heidi Supreme

new jersey is like the joke of this area. it has been called useless, boring, wasteful, ugly, etc. someone once wrote a letter in the philadelphia city paper that stated:
"To New Jersey:
Yes, the whole state. You ugly flat brown stinking piece of- AHHHHHH!! F**k off.
Yours Disgustedly."
so in short, no one likes jersey, and they are the constant but of all our jokes. when you come here, ask someone to tell you about jersey. i am sure that they will answer you, "it sucks."


Under rated

Post 16

Heidi Supreme

to anyone who is from New Jersey or has a certain fondness for it:
i apologize for bashing your state. you must understand that it is customary by now, and that i was only trying to relate to people the unfounded hatred people seem to have for your state. if you are offended, please, don't be. simply add it to the list of reasons why you should move.


Under rated

Post 17

Beckomatic

Umm, OK thanx for the clarification. smiley - smiley


Under rated

Post 18

Memorex

The best comment I ever heard about New Jersey is that it is perfect hurricane buffer.
Being in Philly we are close enough to a beach to enjoy it whenever we want, but far enough away that
big storms don't bug us that much.
I think that we have to make the statement that just as Philladelphians bust on Jersey, so Jersey busts back.
I like to think of it as a friendly rivalry. We have Chester, they have Camden. They complain about our potholes, we complain about traffic circles. (In case you have never been through a traffic circle, Beck, it is a nightmare. Instead of a traffic signal, Jersians put a big traffic circle. Traffic moves counter clockwise, you have to merge into the circle, go halfway around, and then merge off, just to keep going straight on the road you just left. If you are makeing a left you have to go 3/4 the way around. Ludicrious.)
And neither group of people likes the way the other group of people drives.
But it is friendly, becuase both our states can find common ground and bust on Delaware.

As far as the Devils go, they are a first rate team with second rate fans. Most South Jerseyites like the Flyers. (Mostly because they are close enough to go to the game, it is on their Comcast Cable(owners of the flyers) anyway, and half of them moved from Philly to the Jersey shore. Most northern Jersey Fans will root for the Rangers, because they want to be considered New Yorkers. Every one in te middle would root for the Devils. They are kinda like leftovers
And beck, If the thought of the Devils beating your stars get's you down, just think of this:
The Devils Have no home town. Their arena is an exit off the Turnpike (highway). When they won the cup, they had their Cup Parade in the parking lot of the Meadow Lands. How pathetic is that?


Under rated

Post 19

Beckomatic

Traffic circles, huh?
Victory parade in a parking lot, huh?
WOW!Jersey DOES suck!
So Philly is close to a beach??Is it nice or is it like Galveston?


Under rated

Post 20

Heidi Supreme

the jersey shore is nice depending on what you compare it to. if you are used to nice smooth sand and being able to see straight to the bottom, then no, it sucks. but it is a very popular place and it has good waves. most of the more popular shore towns are very well taken care of, and the beaches are usually clean. (note: i said USUALLY).


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Broad Street Line, SEPTA, Philadelphia, USA

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more