A Conversation for 'Smoke on the Water' - the song

"Smoke on the Water" referenced by...

Post 1

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

Beevis and Butthead, the '90s cartoon antiheroes, had a special love for singing the riff from "Smoke on the Water" while banging their heads. The two spend much of their time making fun of music videos, but they maintained a certain natural reverence for this favorite.

Barenaked Ladies, a Canadian rock group, likes to pull audience members on stage for their live concerts. They might, for instance, ask security personnel to round up all the redheads or bald men or very short people and ask them if they want to dance onstage for the last song. But more often, they single out a person for special treatment.

The usual trick is to get the person to do something relatively simple, then amaze them by performing a whole song based on the musical results. One frequent trick is to ask them to strum a guitar to the rhythm of "Smoke on the Water," while the band's guitarist changes the chords with a spare hand. Soon the whole band breaks into a cover that quickly turns into a rock medley before morphing into their own song. The audience members is never asked to leave the stage, and they're generally allowed to rock with the band throughout the whole number.


"Smoke on the Water" referenced by...

Post 2

The Iron Maiden

My my...that's awfully cool of them! smiley - smiley

Me and my mates had a Beavis & Butthead moment like that a long way back in school. We were all sat in the back way grunting away the riff to Smoke On The Water. We all got an after-school detention for it smiley - tongueout


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more