A Conversation for The Edmonton Grads: The Original Dream Team

a team record never to be equalled

Post 1

royalrcrompton

As a Canadian born seven years after this remarkable team folded, it is sad that the players/coaches were never given the appropriate level of honour that they so richly deserve.

While basketball is indeed, a Canadian invention, the sport has never come close to reaching the levels of popularity that ice-hockey or curling enjoys. That may explain why so few Canadians are familiar with the Grads and their accomplishments.

It is most certain that no athletic teams (mens or womens) will ever again so dominate their sport as did the Grads. Kudos to the writer of this entry!

RC


a team record never to be equalled

Post 2

anhaga

'Kudos to the writer of this entry!'


smiley - blush


said writer just happens to be online right now.smiley - smiley



For what it's worth, I think that the Grads are still to some extent remembered here in Edmonton. I suspect this is partly due to the sad period in the last half of the twentieth century when Edmonton had a habit of bulldozing everything of historic interest(Fort Edmonton Park was certainly a happy reaction against that sad period). The fact that the Grads are not much remembered elsewhere is exactly why I wrote the entry.

Have you noticed this? http://www.histori.ca/minutes/lp.do?id=13113


On a personal note, it's nice to have my H2G2 entries referenced in relevent Wikipedia articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Grads

I've experienced this a few times.smiley - smiley


re Historica website

Post 3

royalrcrompton

Thanks for listing this website. A very good summarisation as well.

It's hard to imagine that there were only 20 losses - which included some to men's teams! If we could assume that of those 20 losses, 5 were to men's teams, then they wound up with an amazing .971 career winning percentage against their peers! Where in sport is there any team that has maintained more than an .825 winning percentage over even a single decade?? That is why I feel extremely confident in stating that the Grads win/loss record will never, never be equalled.

RC


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more