A Conversation for Specialist Shops

Plant Nurseries

Post 1

bookgrrl

Where I live, in California, it seems that smaller nurseries are being taken over by huge hardware stores/garden centers.

My favorite place to buy plants is the Morningsun Herb Farm in Vacaville, California. All plants are started on premises, so there's no guessing about whether or not they will grow when I take them home.

They have almost every herb available (that will grow in Nor. California, of course!) and vegetable plants, gardening implements, and crafts, as well. I can browse around for hours - I never knew there was such a variety of sage plants. They offer classes and special events. They even send out a newsletter called the "Mint Edition" and have a website, too: http://www.morningsunherbfarm.com. Aside from the greenhouse and small building housing garden implements and crafts, everything is outdoors - even the cash registers!

I first came across them at our local Farmer's Market here in Vacaville. After reading a newsletter, I just had to visit. One family and a few friendly helpers run the entire operation. Unlike most garden centers, Morningsun's staff really knows its plants. The owners are Rose Loveall-Sales and Dan Sales. Rose has a Masters Degree in environmental horticulture. The family has owned the land for years (it started out as an English walnut grove). The herb farm dog, Lula, will also make you feel welcome. Don't mind if she barks a bit... she's really friendly.

The address is: 6137 Pleasants Valley Road, Vacaville, CA, 95688
Phone: 707-451-9406



Key: Complain about this post

Plant Nurseries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more