A Conversation for Ray Harryhausen - Stop-motion Animator

Childhood Trauma

Post 1

Underground Caroline

I'd just like to say that those skeletons (children of the hydra's teath, if I remember correctly) in Jason and the Argonauts scared the pants off me when I was a child. I was totally willing to believe that skeletons could emerge out of the ground and attack someone. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me. Children today would probably laugh at the special effects being churned out in those days, but he was a bit of a pioneer and 15 years ago he certainly had me convinced.


Childhood Trauma

Post 2

Awix

It's one of those films that gets rediscovered by every generation, I think. A week or two ago here the UK there was a TV documentary about the making of the Chicken Run movie (another stop-motion production, but one in much more humorous vein) and the producers more or less admitted that the skelly duel at the end of Argonauts led to them getting into the art. Mr Harryhausen himself briefly popped up, but didn't say anything particularly memorable.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more