The Hyborian age: NGP - Progress

0 Conversations

List of work done, work to be done, and work completed.

  • Zamora -
    Four states done. Arenjun has four towers that need doing, although these can wait. In time will need a palace and a temple of the spider god
  • Corinthia -

    Country page done. three city-state identified and done. Needs a temple for Kamalla's holy warriors

The next country depends on whats best for the map. The next possible step is either Koth (SOUTH) or Brythunia (NORTH) as these are both connected to the existing two. Perhaps Nemedia, then Ophir and onto Aquilonia (So that the map becomes totally open to most of the northern continent) then Argos and pictland, allowing ships to sail south to the black lands, or east to Khitai.

If i go north i can make Cimmeria sooner, which is what people will recognise as being Conan, but Khitai allows oriental elements which could be very appealing.

UPDATE: Brythunian appears to be another country consisting solely of city states. After wracking brains on Corinthia, its best to steer clear for awhile. However Ophir seems to have plenty of information, and would allow access too another two countries in the form of Aquilonia and Argos, as well as being next to the ever dominating Koth and Nemedia.

December 5: Having not updated this in awhile a lot has happened. The Rules page has been updated, however it needs to be brought in line in accordance with the games masters and the players guides more clearly. Ophir was finished without too much trouble, and Nemedia soon followed. Argos and Zingara are the next big projects on the list, followed closely by the Pictish wilderness which i may or may not leave extremely vague to inspire interest. Three states have cropped up that are either too small to do anything with or simply havent got any information on to do anything with (Brythinia, Khorja) so I may leave them till phase three along with Nordheim. I need to define the stages more clearly.

December 6th: Just a quick update to say that Argos and its two locations are finished. Lack of material and effort prevented further expansion. Zingara has been started but again being so similar to Argos i might rush it slightly. The pictish wilderness is next and i cant help feel excited due to the size of the game and how it looks. 16 seperate locations makes it large enough to unleash on the world already. By the end of the week it'll be a rival for many.

December 7th: By the end of today i should have Zingara finished mainly because ive been neglecting the project a bit in my opinion. Found some more information on Shem today that should come in very handy given time. Zingara will mark the end of civillisation for a week as i push through to the wild lands further north. Pictish wilderness will probibly be the quickest of the wildlands to build because of the fact that oit has 9 tribal locations, although more then likely it'll be hawk and raven tribe that are detailed as they are the ones that are opposed to one another most directly, although more then likely a costal town will be added. Zingara is now finished. Just needs two cities and a counts palace for my mattadors

December 8th: Pallos turned out to not be in Argos after all. The Page has been renamed Athos but needs to be done, however i havent started out of disappointment of having to delete it all. It was however in Zingara, meaning i have move the page over. I havent included and castles for Zingara yet because its a location not a city or a country, which i was saving for later. Tonight i will get the pictish wilderness completed.

December 10th: The reason why i didnt do an update yesterday is that i was too busy. Zingara quickly feel to my mighty onslaught, followed by the Pictlands (only two tribes though) and today i polished of Shem. I recon i should try and get Koth done but i dont really feel like it. You see the map now has two encircled locations - Koth and Aquilonia. Knowing that Aquilonia is a biggy i was leaving it till last so that i could attack it with wanton abaddon. Having another look Brythunia is also encicled a bit which would be a bit easier. I dunno, i shall report which ever one i complete sometime tomorrow.

December 27th - end of year summary: Well its two weeks since the last update and to say progress has been made would be lies. Ive done sod all and everythings ground to a halt. This is in part down to mongoose who again seem to be a disappointment. Ive contacted Matt Sprange about this game but heard nothing from him. My worries about copyright simply need to be put to one side, and hopefully the existance of the star wars academy and the magicians guild will save my little game in its infancy. With exams coming up im reluctant to attack it with the same ferocity I did in december, but then again I dont want to let it lye around too long, as march was roughly the time when stage two was going to be introduced, followed by stage three in June - giving a month break between each. I might get started on Saridis sometime soon.

January 4th, 2005 - Happy new year to anyone who cares to read this. I've been fairly neglectant of the project of late, and its now roughly a month behind schedule. The planned March release date of the second phase is no long put back and each day I feel more and more like Mongoose. Having said that I've added a new template for islands and settlements. This pretty much covers everything, although I'm considering adding one for palaces and the like. Saridis is actually complete, and has been all this time which basically makes me look a prat because I stopped working out of dredd of doing Saridis. However having now completed Shem I can move North once more. Koth seems like a demon at the moment and i dont fancy doing it, although i have the feeling i already have....

January 10th - Okay ive started work again sort of and now I have Brythunia's page done, with three cities to add during today. That still leaves the almighty Koth to do and the dauniting Aquilonia but then again having said that That would leave only Hyperborea and Cimmeria left pretty much. However my Chaos army needs to get finished so Im going to set the final deadline for this February 14th, This is the first day back at college and gives me a week to clean up everything thats wrong. It also means I can revist places I didnt do well and stuff. Ah well off to work.

January 12th - Brythunia is now finished and I can safely say i enjoyed writing it immensely The fact that I wrote all three cities over the course of a few hours reminds me how quick this thing can be built if i pull my finger out and get on with it. Looking at my map I still have the biggest three to tackle - Koth, Aquilonia, and Cimmeria. Yet Im going to keep pushing north instead and get Asgard and Vanaheim done. I'm in a viking mood you see...

January 13th - I spent the past hour or so creating the first of the key realms - Hyperborea. Its fairly good although the city pages are a little weak. It does have the four pages necessary to be labelled as complete, and I think now that four pages per country will become a minimum target unless a good reason is given. What this means is that the Picts need another tribe, Argos needs a dockyard, and Zingara needs a Count who will be ever so slightly over the top. However these can all wait til the end. I have no intention of slowing down the progress of the nation and as such Im going to go Koth and its two warts in the next day or so. Following that I will do Vanahiem and Asgard which will block in the three remaining locations - Border Kingdoms (which may or may not be abandoned), Aquilonia, and my beloved Cimmeria. Although I did find another name for the mountain of Crom which ill need to look up again. UPDATEAdded Asgard. Okay i know i know i was suppose to leave it till stage two but hell im having fun with my vikings. Anthea has suggested a tribe or Valkyrie which I'll try and get round too soon, although I have just added a tribe of bear riders so ill wait and see. Koth will be done within the next week - I cant put it off any longer sadly.

January 14th - The Big Push - Okay this is it. Im grabbing Koth by its bits and ramming it full blast. Anthea is currently build the land of the Valkyrie and im going to make the page of the gundermen (i think thats the name, ah well). Oh course ive got to build my gribblies first, and then base then, and then phone Gaz... not that im putting things off of course

Feburary 4th - The big push became the big constipation. Messantia needs to be redone completely, Koth is off, Zamora and corinthia need examining. However these things are for the best. Both the magicians guild and the assassins guild are getting revamped soon which means that people who join hyborians will likely migrate. So in a wonderful peice of divine cunning akin to the divine wind of japan I shall not release the game late. Nor will i release it with only one phase complete. No no no. This has become the big daddy of all time. I will combine stage one, two, and three in to one almighty sick stage that means that my wonderful progress is infact a load of C**p. Ive actually only got a third done, which whilst seeming wonderful (and indeed being over well over 60 pages long is quite an acheivement) is not that great. You see the 'Kingdoms arent really done - theres so many places missing or incomplete that I could do with building. Theres at least a dozen cities in Corinthia that I could write about, and I would love to get some palaces done sometime soon. Therefore for my little holidat project I intend to build the rest of the Hyborian Kingdoms and then build a tower and a palace or two as a treat. It'll mean some playing around with templates and such but hey I deserve it. The first tower to be built will easily be the tower of night, and then possible the tower of flesh. Ill then get some more info on the scarlet citadel and then from that move on to the other palaces such as the palace of Ophir ('m thinking of having the room like a mirror ball or kaleodoscope or something) and then of course I have my real treat which is Cimmeria. Im also going to allow myself to build Lemuria. What ive realised over the course of building this is that some places feel right, and some places dont. Zamora feels like theres something missing, whilst Argos and Corinthia feel wrong. Nemedia and Koth are perfect, as is Brythunia. What this might mean is that I need to redo them which is were Lemuria comes in. I'll build Lemuria early and then if it feels right then Ill know. If it doesnt I can start from scratch or move the old Lemuria to Uttara Karu. Time will tell.

Feburary 18th - cunningness alert - Unleashing the Hyborian Kingdoms at exactly the rite time will be there making or breaking. Ive decided now that the release date will be May 31st - Dobbies birthday and two days before Beanies birthday. Ive also chosen this date as it will give me three months to get everything done and dusted in one form or another. Even if its only actually page creation and not full linking at least its a start. It also invites people to create the pages which is what I had planned for the kingdoms in the first place. Im going off to do some work on Croms mountain and such places to at least get my brain working and thinking about that kind of thing once more.

25th February - what I've done update - The Border Princes are done, and established as a player kingdom location. I've also created the pages for Khoraja and Khauran but I may or may not expand these yet. Koth is completely finished, depending on what I do with the Kothian escarpment. The building of fair Aquilonia has begun, and we all know what that means. I still havent decided whether or not to do Nordheim and the Vanir land. The whole point of the project was to create a map like gazeetter but I seriously cant be bothered with some locations. I'll see how it goes. I have to come to a definate decision soon because the final two big ones are coming up and i dont want to mess them up.

March 14th - 3 Month reveiw - Yet another way of not doing anymore work on this. After over three months of hard work, I have to admit that Im incredibly impressed with myself. I have done in three months which some have tried for well 18 months to do. I've come to the decision that I will do Vanaheim and Nordheim, and then advance south. What this means is that I will go through each country with a fine tooth comb and find spelling mistakes, flaws, and add cities as and where I choose too. Whilst this is the longer option it is also the most productive as it means that once completed, the entirity of the Hyborian Kingdoms can be left as it is while Stygia and the south are built. I've managed to get my dirty mits on a copy of the road of kings. Whilst this is limited only to the Hyborian nations it is undoubtably a powerful resource thats letting me cross referance my details. Whilst there are other OGL RPG sourcebooks such as Aquilonia and Messantia, I cant justify spending all my money on them for no reason other then as source material. Road of kings will have to do for now and then if the gods deign to land more books in my lap then I will be most humbled.

March 28th - She's finished. Aquilonia is finished. She took all day mind, but she is a big girl (5 locations). I like the old girl, she reminds me of my earlier nations like Ophir. Then again thats okay because I kind of wanted that. The Bossonian archers are going to prove popular - there practically legolasses. Aquilonia is rightly the largest nation by one. However I still havent done the Westermarck of the Gunderland and its tempting to add both of these to the roster for a later date. Both have more then enough information to exploit. Then again.. Cimmeria awaits the brave....

March 29th - I've added both the Westermarck and the Gunderland because I know ill want to do them later. I finished Cimmerias main page, followed by 3 other pages. It still needs too more tribes doing, and I've also added Venarium which Ill tie into the Gunderland. I've also noticed some holes in the work. Khoraja and Khauran need to be done, as does Athos in Argos. I've also looked about and reckon i need to add about 10 more pages for cities and such, taking the total up to 75 - not including isles and other temples which will need to be done. Its strange that Aquilonia will be roughly a tenth of the entire project when its neighbours can barely equal that (Zingara, Ophir, and Argos just about equal it together). I'll go back to Zingara soon I think and then Argos, and then from there the Barachan pirates. Oh and I've also removed vanaheim from the list for the moment along with nordheim. its not going to get used for ages yet so.

MARCH 30TH - Stage 1 is now complete and mighty good it looks too. Cimmeria and Aquilonia, the key locations, each boast 5 and 8 locations respectively making them the largest two. To follow this up and to tie in the Poitian in Aquilonia, I'm going to begin work affresh on Zingara and Argos, which will in time lead to the Barachan islands. It seems as though h2g2's going through a bit a lull at the moment though. Its just not as busy as it used to be. Ah well. I might go do some scouting and investigate other RPG's and see if theres a similar thing going on. Once I've brought the minimum number of locations upto three per nation then Ill start opening the doors I think.

April 3rd - The Use Of Spies - namely me. Went wandering around and came across the assassins guild and had a thought. Hyborians isnt the biggest - Assassins so far is. The thread quantity and member list is vader-impressive. Although Hyborians is revealled to all, it must once more duck under the radar. At sixty pages the girls big, but not big enough. Thinking now I should have checked the author of those pages rather then retreat hear to scheme but I've never been too good at that. Instead, I'm going to build on whats there, attempt stygia, and then push out in all directions. It wont be as consistant as the Hyborians were, but in turn the Hyborians are a more structured collection of nations as opposed to the Hyrkanians which are numerous nomads and the southlands which are isolated settlements and hamlets.

4th May - Okay so having kicked people into action once again I've decided to take my own advice and begin Stygia in earnets. Actually i've got over an hour to kill and reckon i can get something done that would be productive and whats more productive then this?

3rd of August - (A slightly late) 3 month reveiw - Actually theres been no progress since the 4th and its kind of crushing. Ful time painting is taking over my life so giving time to this isn't an option. I'm going to try and get stygia finished, as well as the Argos/zingara tidy up I've been promising for awhile but we'll see how things go.

  • http://hyboria.xoth.net/gazetteer/nations.htm
  • http://www.dodgenet.com/~moonblossom/hyborian.htm

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3261142

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more