A Conversation for Linux (GNU/Linux)

From Mandrake 9.1

Post 1

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

Mandrake 9.1 is the best so far. I like the article. Not too pro or too anti


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 2

xyroth

mandrake 9.1 the best?

you mean it actually lets you recompile the kernel without forcing a complete reinstall, and you can get code for the kernel without having to pay n$/month?

no I didn't thinks you could.

not fixed it since 9.0 then have they.


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 3

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

The source is 100MB or so under development in the install tree


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 4

xyroth

eh? that doesn't actually clarify anything.

I had the problem that ip masquerading was not built into the supplied kernel, but was required to allow me to use the modem from any machine on my network.

no problem I thought, I will just recompile the source, and include it.

but the source isn't included unless you buy the boxed set.

so I tried to download it from the mandrake site (as they heavily patch their kernels) but you couldn't get to the download directory without paying a 6euro/month fee.

so I downloaded the source from http://www.kernel.org/ and it compiled fine, but broke the rest of the distribution so badly that the only solution was a complete reinstall.

not exactly the cleverest way to get people to buy your distribution over someone elses.


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 5

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

Since I'm actually logged into this website from mandrake. Here is a coopy & paste from the package installer programme.

"Name: kernel-source
Version: 2.4.21-0.13mdk
Size: 156785 KB

Summary: The source code for the Linux kernel.

Description: The kernel-source package contains the source code files for the Linux kernel. These source files are needed to build most C programs, since they depend on the constants defined in the source code. The source files can also be used to build a custom kernel that is better tuned to your particular hardware, if you are so inclined (and you know what you're doing)."

**I'm using the free download edition. A friend of mine has been recompiling the kernel since mandrake 7.2 and it's always been inclued in the free download edition.


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 6

xyroth

looks like I will have to reverify that it is missing (or not) from the 2 cd edition that I have got.

having said that, downloading the new source from kernel.org definately shouldn't put the distro into an unfixable state.


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 7

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

just run a serch in the mandrake package installer. kernel.org probably has the bare kernel without *any* of the tweaks applied from the dirtros


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 8

xyroth

I nkow that's what is on kernel.org

having said that, installing the new kernel (as mandrake won't let you donload the tweaked one without paying a 6euro/month subscription) should not completely trash the installed and running system!

smiley - yikes


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 9

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

so did you have a look throught the 3 disk download edition for the kernel source?


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 10

xyroth

no, because as I said in post six, the version I was given only has two cd's, so looking through the third one would be a bit tricky.

as for downloading it, have you every tried downloading a cd image using an unmetered dialup connection? I have, and while it is possible, it is definately very tricky (it takes about a week per iso at 4 hours per night if everything goes exactly right).

not realy a practical proposition.


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 11

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

that's why you stay on friendly terms with people who have access to hi-speed connections smiley - winkeye

BTW I think the source is on disk two as I've never had to get more than 20MB from disk 3



Apparitionsmiley - esuom


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 12

xyroth

I'll check that out and see if I cn use it to fix the problem.

ps any idea where I can find good information on autodetection of hardware, as the stuff I have found so far is pretty dreadfull.

This info needn't be distro specific.


From Mandrake 9.1

Post 13

Apparition™ (Mourning Empty the best uncle anyone could wish for)

sorry I don't know anything recent. Mandrake has done a pretty good job for me since 8.1

two weeks ago I used a plug n play USB keyring drive with no probs


Key: Complain about this post