A Conversation for Gryphons

Medusa

Post 1

Night Siren

Medusa contains all the forces of the primodial Great Goddess: The cycles of time: past, present and future. The cycles of nature: life, death and rebirth. She is the symbol of universal creativity, destruction and eternal transformation.

When you think of Medusa (as I know you often do) it's usually the snakes in the hair that comes to mind. But she was full of so much more symbolism! For instance, did you know that birds appeared on her head and shoulders and represented her generative and death wielding powers? Did you know that the snakes represent the cycles of life?

While doing my research on this infamous Goddess, I also discovered that she was feared by men "with a hold dread", as she bled without wound or pain according to the moon-tide cycles. (menstruation). She often was pictured with wings on her back and feet which represented her movement between the worlds.

Medusa wore a ceremonial mask. Her eyes were unblinking and were said to reflect her immense wisdom. It was also claimed that her eyes were all knowing and all seeing. She could see through you, penetrate your illusions and look into the abyss of truth. This mask was used to protect women and the secret knowledge of the Divine Feminine.

I've come to have a new respect for this Goddess, Medusa. She's my kind of woman!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more