A Conversation for Harry Potter

Proof...

Post 41

apepper

Sorry for the long delay in replying - I didn't realise the thread was still in progress! JKR has said that the HBP isn't Voldemorte or Harry. It could be a new character, or (my long shot) Hagrid.

-Andrew


Proof...

Post 42

Asmodai Dark (The Eternal Builder, servant of Howard, Crom, and Beans)

Main plot bunny - reveal or dont reveal?


If I was her, I smile, say 'its someone you wont expect', and laugh as the new house gets paid for


Proof...

Post 43

Sho - employed again!

So did anyone read it?

smiley - winkeye


Proof...

Post 44

apepper

I read the HBP - one of the best, the opening scene with the prime-minister was excellent.

-Andrew


Proof...

Post 45

Sho - employed again!

I liked it (currently re-reading) but I think she did dwell a tad too much on teenage hormones.

But don't think it was as good as HP5 or HP3 (sorry, too lazy to type in full)


Proof...

Post 46

smart_one555

Harry Potter 6 may have had a lot of teenage hormones and stuff, but I think that Harry Potter 5 had way too much teen angst.

I really liked Harry Potter 6, and I *think* I know who "R.A.B" is. (Yeah, I know, a billion other people all over the internet know too, but I still felt pretty proud when I figured it out on my own smiley - smiley)

The Harry Potter books may not be the best books on earth, but I had a whole lot of fun reading them. I suggest the Bromeliad Trilogy by Terry Pratchett cause it's hilarious. smiley - winkeye

-Laura


Proof...

Post 47

Dark Side of the Goon

I used to grumble about the originality of JKR's work vs the "obvious" genius of Tolkien etc etc and then one day I woke up and realised it's because I'm an embittered writer wannabe who can't quite believe Rowling got seriously wealthy off her first ever published work.

Now that I'm over that - and I am so over that - Harry Potter is rather fun.

Yes, it's not Tolkien. What is? Oh...Tolkien, of course. The point?

Compare Rowling to Pratchett. By book seven of the Discworld series, had El Tel really hit his stride?

Anyway...

...when people are yelling and screaming about how awful the Potter series is, please keep one thing in mind.

Kids are reading it.

Avidly.

That's a good thing. If they develop the habit now, we can steer them gently towards some of the good stuff later and then hey! maybe we can get them into Hemmingway, or Proust, or Dosdoyevsky.

Oh, and for my money, accolade for best character in the Potter series (and one of the best ever)? Severus Snape.


Proof...

Post 48

Sho - employed again!

heh heh heh, you and me both jealous of her success, sunshine! smiley - hug

I love Snape. The more I read the more I think he really is one of the best characters in literature ever. Even better than Sirius Black - with whom I have fallen deeply and irrevocably in love. (even before he looked a lot like Sid's dad)

And I will echo the sentiment: anything that gets children (and adults, come to think of it) readng can only be a Good Thing.

Good luck with getting anyone into Dostoyevsky - I prefer Chekhov and Turgenev myself. Not so heavy (literary-wise or book-size wise)
smiley - ok


Proof...

Post 49

Dark Side of the Goon

Snape is fun.

Not having read Half Blood Prince, I don't know that much about his background but what I do know is:

He's one of the Good Guys.
He's been undercover for so long it's difficult for him to tell where the mask ends and the real Severus begins.
He's monumentally petty, which means that although he's not a nice person he's not a bad person.
JKR loves to write him. You can tell. Snape seems to be one of those characters who end up writing themselves.

Sirius Black was likewise much more interesting than virtually everyone else around him. We're told he was the brightest and best in his year, we can see the potential he had before he went to Azkaban and how that time destroyed the man he might have been.

He's also a rebel, in the leather jacket wearing Marlon Brando style, because he turned against his family and everything they stood for on principle.

And then we watch him slide none too gently into isolation and (probably) alcoholism, only to go out in a blaze of glory. Which is how, I feel, he would have wanted it.

Interesting that the two most interesting characters in the series hate each other so thoroughly. D'you think Snape wanted to be Black?


Proof...

Post 50

Sho - employed again!

I think Snape just wanted to be as accepted as Black. In HP5 there is some mention of an abusive father, and 6 gives more details about his past (you REALLY must read 6,Gradient, you simply HAVE to)

Your comment about him finding it difficult to realise where the real Snape ends and the false Snape begins is spot on. I really feel for him - he has, in effect, given up everything to back Dumbledore - and gets NO thanks or recognition for it.

I really can't wait for 7.


Proof...

Post 51

Dark Side of the Goon

I wonder about the "lack of recognition".

When I read the books, I get a strong sense that there is far more to the relationship between Severus and Albus than meets the eye - no, we're not talking slash - and the same is true for Draco Malfoy.

I wonder.

Could it be that Draco is currently idling in a Smeagol role? Are we going to see him turn his coat at the last moment? Why do I have the distinct feeling that Draco only hates Harry because he's expected to?


Proof...

Post 52

Sho - employed again!

do you have a copy of HP6 in the house? May I suggest you read it... before I fill you full of spoilers


Proof...

Post 53

Dark Side of the Goon

I do not currently own a copy of Half Blood Prince (and I'm willing to put hard cash money on the possibility that the Prince in the title has nothing to do with royalty, wizarding or otherwise, and isn't Harry, Draco, Neville or Voldemort) but Spoiler away if you feel the need. I consider myself warned.


Proof...

Post 54

Sho - employed again!

no... really, I can't

it would ruin the ending (but you're right about who the prince isn't)

You really should read it though - there is loads of Snape & Draco in it. And, unfortunately, (but quite well done) lots of teenage hormones and snogging!


Proof...

Post 55

Dark Side of the Goon

Don't tell me, let me guess:

Harry and...
- well, if it's Hermione then Rupert Grint will be bitterly disappointed -
...Molly Weasely? No, no of course not. Ginny.

And since you said Teen, I can safely close the file on the forbidden love that is Minerva McGonagal and Professor Flitwick.


Proof...

Post 56

Sho - employed again!

so read the book already
smiley - book
smiley - ok


smiley - tardis <--- just because it's there!


Proof...

Post 57

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

(I got fed up with the backlog and skipped the last half of it.)

Who the hell cares if it's derivative or cliched? All that matters is that it's a good story.

smiley - pirate


Proof...

Post 58

Sho - employed again!

Exactly!


How to name kids

Post 59

strange_views

Try Greek/roman gods for inspiration.
If you like animals, name the kid as the scientific name of the animal.
eg Ursus-bear-Ursula- werebear kid.

Bit off topic but the names are very odd.smiley - ermsmiley - smiley


How to name kids

Post 60

Sho - employed again!

The thing that bugs me with the names is this type of thing: Remus Lupin. His parents had no idea he was going to be bitten by a warewolf, so what's that about? Sirius??? he only became an animagus when he was at school.

But I still love 'em.


Key: Complain about this post