The X-Philes - Hell on Earth Part 6

0 Conversations

Mulder's office

Mulder picks up the phone and dials.

Doggett: 'John Doggett.'

Mulder: 'It's me, Mulder. I've found out who he is! It's Monsignor O'Bannion - he's going to try and raise the Devil. Scully's gone to visit him. She's in danger.'

Doggett: 'Just tell me where to meet you with the back up.'

Mulder: 'No, we can't use back up. If this goes wrong we're dead in the water. The Gunmen are going to meet me at St Margaret's. According to Byers the only way to stop it is if one of the piec's is missing. We have to get to the ceremony and destroy one of the pieces. Try and reach Scully - she's in danger. She said she was going to talk to O'Bannion about something that's been troubling her. Also, try and get hold of Jude. He had her get hold of a cross. It could be one of the pieces needed for the ceremony. Stop her getting it to him. Arrest her if you have to but don't let her get to him. Her life is in danger too.'

Doggett: 'Why are Scully and Jude in danger? If he's going to perform a devil raising ceremony he's not going to want witnesses, so he'll get rid of them as soon as possible surely?'

Mulder: 'According to Byers the ceremony needs a sacrifice...'

Doggett: 'Don't tell me. Scully and Jude and they're delivering themselves to him on a plate. I'll find Jude and I'll keep trying Scully but if she's in church she'll have turned her phone off. Right, look, I'll do my best. I'll see you at St Margaret's.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

O'Bannion's office, St Margaret's Church. 7.00pm

*Knock at the door.*

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Come in.'

Jude comes through the door.

Jude: 'Good evening Your Grace. I've brought the cross like you asked me to.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Thank you my dear' (Takes the cross from her) 'Perfect, just perfect. Now our time has come nothing can stop us now.'

The figure of a Nun moves behind her. It's Reverend Mother Emmanuelle.

Reverend Mother Emmanuelle: 'Such a shame that you couldn't take our warning seriously. You just had to bring John Doggett into it again didn't you. I do hope you can live with yourself.'

Jude: 'What do you mean? Are you the ones who threatened me? Anyway, he came to me. I haven't contacted him since...' (looks worried) 'Anyway, I've done as you asked so I'll be going.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'I don't think so. We have one more task for you to fulfil.'

Jude make's a dash for the the door, Mother Emmanuelle stops her and claps a rag over her face. Her body goes limp and she is dragged off. O'Bannion straightens the room and waits for his next appointment.

*Knock on the door.*

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Come in.'

This time Scully comes through the door.

Scully: 'Thank you for seeing me Your Grace.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Not at all. It's Dana isn't it? Margaret's daughter?'

Scully: 'That's right.' (sits down) 'What I came here for was... well, I work for an unusual department in the FBI. My partner and I investigate unusual phenomena, unexplainable things and well... how can I put this... Do you remember, a couple of months ago, the murder of Dale Williams in Chicago by a young man called Jay Fernandez?'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Yes I do. It was news for several weeks. He claimed he was the Second Coming of Christ.'

Scully: 'He was, he was Christ. I was the investigating Agent. I talked to him and I believe him. I saw
him ascend to Heaven. He told me...'
(a tear rolls down her face) '... he told me God has turned his back on us and that we're on our own against them.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Them?'

Scully: 'The aliens. The one's who want our planet. The ones who took Jay to Heaven, the one's who have caused me and my partner such grief...' (She breaks down)'... I'm sorry, Your Grace. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's true.'

O'Bannion studies her, thinking.

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'This is important to you isn't it Dana...' (Mother Emmanuelle comes out of the shadows) '...and wonderful news for us, isn't it my dear!'

She nods.

Scully: 'What's going on?'

Reverend Mother Emmanuelle: 'This news is perfect. Now that God is no longer in the way our time has come. Our Lord will reign, just like the Bible says. Nothing can stop us, the prophesy will be fulfilled.'

Scully: 'So it was you! You murdered all those people, you threatened Agent Doggett and Jude McLaren. Why? Why those two? Jude was an innocent bystander in this and Doggett, this is his job.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'No, they ruined our last chance. You have no idea how much manipulation it took to get her suspected then arrested for the ritual murders in New York and I thought, like every other cop in the NYPD he had a price, but no! He must have been the only honest cop in the department. Then one of my agents screwed up and Jude was released and I had to abandon my plans. I vowed I'd have my revenge and it was so sweet. Jude was easy, being a member of New York society. All I had to do was leak the fact that she'd been arrested for ritual Murder and provided us with the artifacts that we needed and her family did the rest. Her sister's divorce, her overdose, and they blamed John Doggett for it. Perfect, just perfect.'

Scully: 'I suppose you ruined Agent Doggett's career prospects in New York with your rumours and lies.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'No, that was much more... rewarding... and so easy. Snatching his son off the street, dumping the body where we knew it could be found so easily, watching his family life fall apart. Sweet sweet revenge.'

Scully listens to this with growing horror.

Scully: 'Oh my God, you b*****d! You murdered his son for revenge?' (speaks to herself) 'That's what he meant when he said he didn't want anyone to get hurt again. He meant himself. Oh God... oh my God.'

Scully draws her gun.

Scully: 'Back off Monsignor, if that's who you really are. I'm arresting you for murder.'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'My we are a brave little thing aren't we. You don't really think I'll come quietly do you?'

Scully: 'I mean it, I'll use force if I have to.'

She points the gun at his chest and squeezes the trigger, but she is hit on the back of the head by Mother Emmanuelle.

Reverend Mother Emmanuelle: 'Everything is in place now. What a shame we couldn't have Agent Doggett as our sacrifice. That would have been perfect wouldn't it!'

Monsignor O'Bannion: 'Now, we must gather everyone together. Our time is nigh.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The scene changes to Doggett standing outside a church. He is making a phone call.

Doggett: 'Damn it, pick up will you.'

There is no answer so he dial's again.

Doggett: 'Mulder, it's me. I can't get hold of Scully or Jude. I spoke to someone at Christies but Jude had already left. She was going to deliver a package to Monsignor O'Bannion.'

Mulder: 'Then it's too late, he's got all the pieces he needs.'

Doggett: 'It's not too late. You said yourself that all we've got to do is destroy one of the pieces and it's
over. We can save them, God knows we owe it to them.'

Mulder: 'I don't think God care's anymore. I really think this is the end of the world...'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The X-Philes Series Archive

Reefgirl

16.09.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2997741

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more