A Conversation for The Industrial Estate

View from Houston

Post 1

Steve K.

Good article, I've always been intrigued by the industrial facilites more than the glittery upscale shopping centers.

In Houston, the latter is epitomized by The Galleria:

"Set beneath spectacular glass atriums, The Galleria features more than 375 fine stores and restaurants, an impressive ice rink and two Westin hotels ... Neiman Marcus, Cartier, Gucci, Macy's, Tiffany & Co., Saks Fifth Avenue ... With the expansion that opened in March 2003, The Galleria became the fourth largest mall in the nation highlighted by nine types of stone, suspended glass balconies, three types of wood, glass skylights, and plush leather seating. With three office towers, two hotels, 2.4 million square feet of retail space, and a variety of restaurants, The Galleria is a city within a city."

smiley - yawn

Even as a kid, I watched "Industry on Parade" with as much interest as the cartoons:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/archives/d4507.htm

I smiled at the opening of the entry, "every town has one" (industrial estate, I think called "industrial park" in the US). Houston must have thousands, and lots of the other categories, also. But this might be the grandaddy of them all:

"A massive Wal-Mart Stores Inc. distribution complex opening this month [May 2005] in Baytown will give a gigantic jolt to the Houston economy and could even dictate future trade patterns throughout the United States. With a total of 4 million square feet [bigger than Galleria smiley - ok], the largest Wal-Mart complex of its kind in the country has nearly 92 acres indoors. That is big enough to hold 30 downtown city blocks or 70 football fields."

smiley - bigeyes


View from Houston

Post 2

Jotune

Wal-mart , largest importer of chinese goods in U.S smiley - wah


View from Houston

Post 3

Icy North

Thanks Steve smiley - smiley

I loved watching these industrial films when I was young, but I don't remember them on TV - only as part of schools educational material. There's nothing more amazing than watching a row of bottles clinking along a production line, or a large machine squirting cream on to row after row of cakes.

Those Industry on Parade films should be on Youtube - they sound fascinating.

smiley - cheers Icy


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more