A Conversation for Obstacles to Manned Space Exploration: Propulsion

Anti matter

Post 1

Rik Bailey

Hi, great article.

I saw a program a while back about future space travel technology. One of the things mentioned was a anti matter propulsion system, using hydrogen and its counter part.

Don't know if it could be used to gt in to space, but they compared it with the ion drive and basically said that the anti matter drive would be like a dragster, while the ion drive would be like a volkswagon beetle. i.e. the anti matter drive would get you to super high speeds in a very short amount of time but its fuel consumption would be very high, while a Ion drive would take lots of time to get going but would be able to keep going for much longer due to its amazingly low fuel consumption.

The down side being that after years and years of trying to make anti matter they have only made some thing like 5 millilitres worth of it.

Adib


Key: Complain about this post

Anti matter

More Conversations for Obstacles to Manned Space Exploration: Propulsion

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more