A Conversation for The Melbourne Cup - the Race That Stops a Nation

Melbourne Cup

Post 1

Keith Miller yes that Keith Miller

No mention of the prize money attached to this event or the unbelievable amount spent by mug punters across Australia or the social history attached to this event.
Like the first public outing of the mini-skirt in Aus' by a skinny English model Jean Shrimpton(I think she was English)in 1965(?), or the thoroughly unedifying sight of the Queens representative, his Excellency The Governor General of Australia being as 'full as a boot' and slurring his way through a speech.

The carboot picnickers, swoffing down the Moet and the must-be-seen-to-be-believed corporate tents with fashion houses and the multinationals trying to out do each other in displays of conspicuous consumptions.The questionable dress sense of many people watching from the barriers, the mingling of high and low.
The many events held across Aus' in conjunction with this; Cane toad races, Cockroach races,Outback race events and many other silly and not so silly events.
Nothing like it anywhere else in the world. A lot more could be said about the race that stops a nation.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Melbourne Cup - the Race That Stops a Nation

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more