Dormansland, Surrey, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Dormansland, Surrey, UK

1 Conversation

Dormansland is a small village in rural Surrey, UK. At the last census its population was about 2,200 and since then the village has neither grown nor shrunk much in size.

Fact File

Dormansland has very few claims to fame; however, there are a couple of noteworthy facts.

Firstly, this is the location of a house that was built by the Irish-American architect James Hoban - the very same architect who designed the White House in Washington DC, USA. Secondly, Winston Churchill1 once lived here. And thirdly, the village lies on the Meridian line2: in fact the local Scout hut stands directly on top of it.

Picturesque but not sleepy, Dormansland represents the ideal place to relax and unwind after a hard day in the city3. It is quiet and peaceful. It has a primary school, two churches (one floodlit), a general store, two garages and a Skirmish site4. The prosperous village looks forward to a rosy future and has come runner up in the Surrey Best Kept Village competition (small villages category) on numerous occasions.

A friendly village in the prosperous south, Dormansland will someday achieve national recognition for something, but until then remains a rural nowhere.

1Churchill was the British Prime Minister during the Second World War.2The Meridian Line is the line of longitude from which Greenwich Mean Time is set.3London is about 30 minutes away.4A Skirmish is a mock battle which can include paintballing.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A289055

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more