A Conversation for Da Lat, Vietnam's Eccentric Haven

Chicken Village Da Lat

Post 1

travelsam

We didn't hear the "nine-spurred chicken" story when we visited the Chicken Village in 2001. We were told by our guide - a taxi driver from Da Lat, that:

The people of the Chicken Village were presented with the giant chicken statue after the war because they remained stoically faithful to the communist powers during the war, and did their bit to assist in the area. The people in surrounding areas were "with the enemy" and received no thanks after the war. The giant chicken was supposed to bring tourists to enable the village to support themselves by receiving money either by an entrance income or by selling local handicrafts (as they do).

Well.....it is the women who do. Some of the men work as local drivers and tourist guides, but the local women do the weaving in their homes, work in the fields, raise the children and keep the village in shape. Just in shape. Our driver said that the men mainly smoke and drink....using the hard earned money that the women make from their weaving and sales.

I have to wonder whether many of the products for sale are actually made there, though....because the goods are the same across the country, and just like items available in Thailand as well as Vietnam.(but half the price at the village compared to tourist spots).
I know that there was a woman weaving as a demonstration.....we were not invited to see women weaving in their homes, at all. It was a dry, dusty patch of a village. We admired the cactus fruit growing all the way down a long roadway to a home. This home was much more substantial than the others.....we didn't ask who lived there.

Questions: The woman doing the selling in the shed....did she live there, or in town? Who lived in the bigger house? Where are the goods manufactured?

I would have been happier actually buying local village goods, if such are completed there. No proof of this was available. Yes, I bought two items - to give the locals an income.....I didn't need either item - and we were trying to travel really lightly.


Key: Complain about this post

Chicken Village Da Lat

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more