Klingon Grammer: Nouns

0 Conversations

smiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - ufosmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - ufosmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - ufosmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - ufosmiley - starsmiley - planetsmiley - starsmiley - ufo

Inroducion


List of Contents:
1.More and Less Important, 2.Plural, 3.Qualification (a. So-called, b. Apparent, c. Definite)


More and Less Important:




To make a noun more important or more powerful just add the ending ‘a’ on to the end. EX. If power = woQ --> ultimate power = woQ’a’. To make a noun less important just add the ending -Hom on to the end of the word. EX. If wind/breeze = SuS- --> wisp of air = SuSHom OR if peace = roj --> truce/temporary peace = rojHom.

Plurals:


To make a noun plural just add –pu’ on the end of the word. EX. If officer = yaS --> officers = yaSpu’. Be careful not to add the plural when it’s not necessary. Just as in English you may say We are officers = yaSpu’ maH, but you may not say I am officers = yaSpu’ jiH. Pu’ is a plural used for beings capable of speech. Ex. Officers = yaSpu’ OR Emissaries = Duypu’. –Du’ is the plural used for body parts. Ex. Feet = qamDu’ OR nostrils = tlhonDu’. –mey is a general usage plural. Ex. Planets = yuQmey OR Colonies = mIDmey.–mey can also be used for plural if it is implying that the noun is all over the place. Ex. puq = child --> puqpu’ = children --> puqmey = children all over the place. Some words do not require an ending simply because some words are completely different form their plural version. Ex. Thrusters = chuyDalt --> thruster = vIj or torpedoes = cha --> torpedo = peng. However –mey can be added to the end of one of these words to make it mean that the thing is scattered all over the place. Ex. DoSmey = targets scattered all about OR pengmey = torpedoes all over the place. The –mey ending is added to the singular version of the word, not the plural.

Qualification:(So-called)


The ending -qoq is used when the speaker is not entirely sure. Ex. so-called peace = rojqoq, implies that the peace is not sincere/will not endure.

Qualification:(Apparent)


Using the ending -Hey indicates that the speaker is pretty sure of what they are saying but still has some doubts. Example scenario: If the scanner on a Klingon ship senses an object and the officer reporting the object assumes but is not sure that the object is a ship he would probably say an apparent vessel = DujHey.

Qualification:(Definite)


Use of the -na’ ending indicates that the speaker is absolutely positive about what they are saying. Example scenario: Once the klingon has mentioned the above and is now sure the object is a ship he may say ‘a definite vessel’ OR ‘undoubtedly a vessel’ = Dujna’.


Small Disclaimer


Please note that it is with a large thank you to Marc Orkand and his Klingon Dictionary that this entry is made possible. This is not in anyway meant to step on anyones toes, and this entry could not have been made possible without 'The Klingon Dictionary'.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2732492

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more