A Conversation for The European Union

Winston Churchill's 1946 Zurich speech

Post 1

Simon B

It is interesting that this article should begin with mention of Winston Churchill's "United States of Europe" speech. Although it may appear that this indicated an inital British enthusiasm for the European project, this is actually misleading.

Churchill was commenting more upon what the "other" European nations - particularly France and Germany - could best do to rebuild Europe. The UK - and in particular, the Conservative party - remained focussed on the Empire. This can be seen as a continuation of Britain's historical attitude to mainland Europe: let's do everything we can do keep it quiet over there so that we can concentrate on our Empire.

A better explanation of all this can be found at:
http://www.liv-coll.ac.uk/pa09/europetrip/brussels/churchill.htm

Should Churchill have recognised that this was the time to actively engage on a permanent basis in the affairs of mainland Europe?


Key: Complain about this post

Winston Churchill's 1946 Zurich speech

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more