SPACEBALLS: The Article

4 Conversations


Spaceballs is a spoof film by Mel Brooks, based on the Star Wars Trilogy (and A few other movies/TV Shows)!

The Plot...

The evil Spaceballs have foolishly used up all the fresh air on Planet Spaceball. Under the orders of President Scroob, Dark Helmet kidnaps the princess of the Neighbouring planet Druidia, in order to use her as ransom for planet Druidia's air.

Enter Lone Starr, the hero of the film, with his sidekick, Barf (short for Barfolomew). Together, they brave the evil wraith of the Spaceballs to rescue Princess Vespa (and her droid, Dot Matrix), "for a *#@% load of money!" However, as fate would have it, Dark Helmet has already forced the access code for the planet’s fore field out of the Druish King. Meanwhile, Lone Starr, Barf, Princess Vespa and Dot Matrix have crash-landed on a planet which is mainly desert. Here Lone Starr learns the ways of the "Schwartz" and all four of the team return to help Lone Starr face Dark Helmet "for the first time, for the last time, for the first time" and destroy his ship*.

A Cast of Characters

I was surprised by some of the actors that appeared in the film. This list includes the main characters, their equivalents and their actors/actresses.

  • Lone Starr: Luke Skywalker/Han Solo: Bill Pullman (Independence Day; Disclosure)

  • Barf: Chewbacca: John Candy (Ghostbusters (?); Home Alone)

  • Yogurt/President Scroob: Yoda/Emperor Palpatine: Mel Brooks (Spaceballs; Robin Hood: Men in Tights; History of the World: Part One)

  • Dark Helmet: Darth Vader: Rick Moranis (Honey, I shrunk the kids; Honey, I blew up the baby)

  • Princess Vespa: Princess Leia: Daphne Zuniga

  • King Roland: ??????????????: Dick Van Patten

  • Voice of Dot Matrix: Joan Rivers

Other films, TV shows and Books "spoofed" in Spaceballs...

  • Star Trek (TV/Films)

  • The Metamorphasis (Book)
  • An advert for Wrigley's Doublemint (TV)
  • Alien (Film/Book(?))
  • BattleStar Galactica (TV)
  • The Wizard of Oz (Film/Book)
  • There are a lot more films and TV shows included in Spaceballs, but they are temporarily eluding my memory, so I'll include them when I remember what they are.

    Where to find the film and more information about it...

    I got my copy of the film from a friend who recorded it off TV a while ago and I know Bluebottle has one but I think he taped his off TV too.

    If you are looking to find a copy, you could have a very big task on your hands, but I assure you, it's well worth the effort. The best thing you can probably do is enquire everywhere and anywhere.

    For more information, a good source of information is the World Wide Web. I've had most luck using the search engine Ask Jeeves.

    I'd place some links to other Spaceballs Websites, but there are literally thousands (millions?), so I haven't had time to visit them all and determine which are the best, but please leave any comments in the discussion "Good Spaceballs Websites".

    Spaceballs 2...??...

    During the first Spaceballs film, there is mention (by Mel Brooks) of a second film "Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money" and the words have cropped up in a few of my searches, but as yet I haven’t found any solid evidence of it's existence. If anyone knows or has heard anything, it would be very much appreciated!

    "Thank You"'s and related items...

  • Just to say "Thank You" to bluDragon, who helped with the character list.
  • An Article on Mel Brooks Can be found HERE
  • And don't forget to visit Spaceballs: The Webpage

  • Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A270992

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    References

    h2g2 Entries

    External Links

    Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more